[help]

karpat

I looked in the old posts and found a problem very much like mine just a little different. I just need to make sure of the solution seeing that post was two years old.

This is the problem, on boot up of my Asus P4PE running XP Home Edition SP2 I receive the following message. "Please select the operating system to start"

The first one is "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

The second one is "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition'

The first one comes up with a missing file message, the second os is the one I want to boot from. There is only one os on my hard drive and I'm only running one hdd.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable editing so if that will be needed please explain as clearly as possible, thank you.

Karpat

PS This is the message that comes up when I click on the first Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuratiion problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Edited by karpat

Open your boot.ini and delete the first line referencing Windows XP Home Edition. The line will begin with "multi(0)disk(..." and there will be two of them, just remove the first one, save the file and reboot.

Open your boot.ini and delete the first line referencing Windows XP Home Edition. The line will begin with "multi(0)disk(..." and there will be two of them, just remove the first one, save the file and reboot.

Good morning LLXX:

Thanks for your post. How do I find the boot.ini ? and once I find it do I just highlight the first line and click delete? After that do I right click and will save be an option ? or will it open in notepad so I go to file/save ? Thanks for the help.

I went to search/ and typed in boot.ini and it found one file in the C:\Windows\pss folder, the name for the file was boot.ini.backup. I don't think you want me to change a backup file do you :} And when I clicked on it Windows could not open this file because it does not know what program to use nor do I, can you give me more direction?

Thanks

I just went into Start/right click on my computer/properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings/Edit.

I believe this is where you want me to do the editing :) I've copied and pasted what showed up in note pad. Which of the lines do I want to delete?

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Thanks, Karpat

Edited by karpat

The boot.ini is located on the root of your boot drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Change this to read

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

The boot.ini is located on the root of your boot drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

Change this to read

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

Good morning LLXX:

I removed the line you suggested but it still did not boot without requiring me to choose an option ( I did save after deleting the line). The option now is Windows Default, this is the one that is highlighted on boot up. I went back and deleted the line that starts with "default=multi(0) as you can see here.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

[operating systems]

So how do I get it to boot from the os that is left?

Thanks

Edited by karpat

Hi karpat:

Change it from this:

[boot loader]timeout=30

[operating systems]

To this:

[boot loader]timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

That should do it :)