ISOLinux and Vista 5308 bootsector

Albuquerque

Hey all,

The BootCD I maintain for my corporation is based on ISOLinux, which is then used to launch either PE 2005, any number of Bios flash and firmware update disks, and a few diagnostic tools. I've not had any issues with it up to this point.

However, I can't seem to link a Vista CD Bootsector to ISOLinux; it continually gives me "CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR". I'm thinking it might be a CDFS filenaming issue (maybe it's looking for a JOLIET or ROCKRIDGE index or something??) but I tried too many times to be so certain. Anyone else have this working, or some other alternative option that they KNOW works?

Edited: Wanted to specify the error exactly; my orginal post had the wrong verbiage...

Edited by Albuquerque

Ok, thought I'd post a few updates.

First, I can make my original version of PE 1.6 fail with an almost identical error if I remove the -N argument from MKISOFS. Hmm... So that prompted me to start monkeying with all the command switches in MKISOFS to see if I could cure it.

I've tried writing the CD in UDF format and in mixed ISO9660/UDF format to no avail (but it promptly breaks previous versions of PE, so I suggest not trying). I've tried various implementations of relaxed ISO file names to seemingly no avail (37 character limit, allow lowercase, omit trailing period, allow untranslated file names). I went on to manipulate the Joliet naming standard in various ways without finding any luck there either.

I'm starting to reach my technical limit on this. My only other thought is to somehow manipulate the BCD file and perhaps monkey around in there. I'm not sure where else to go...

Sorry to continue replying to myself, but if anyone else is reading I want to make sure you're in the same place that I am. Turns out I missed some fundamental mixture of command switches before; I'm able to get past the CDBOOT failure if I use MKISOFS with the -d -udf switches (omit trailing periods, make UDF format).

Problem is, I now get NO error at all. I can only assume the bootsector worked and it did indeed start BOOTMGR, but it hangs at that point. Not sure if it's BOOTMGR hanging, or maybe BCP file isn't right, or maybe both worked but it chokes on the boot.wim (I know the WIM itself is good, but maybe something about the CD filesystem structure isn't right)

And as I mentioned earlier, UDF completely breaks my PE 1.6 image. NTLDR goes missing supposedly... Maybe if I can ever get BOOTMGR working I can then use BCP and create a legacy entry for the "old" PE. Realistically the two will not need to co-exist in the long term, but while we're testing, I want to have both options available -- and on the same disc if at all possible.

I was really trying not to get away from ISOLinux, as I wasn't wanting to completely overhaul my CD structure. However, since I can't get BOOTMGR to load under any circumstances with ISOLinux (at least, at the moment) then I'll probably try one of your alternatives.

Holy hell is BCDW ugly; there's no way I'm converting our BootCD to that. Big items that make me steer away is lack of compressed disk image support (current BootCD I develop contains over 50 disk images in IMZ format that would otherwise take another ~60mb of space), lack of user interface features (some of the techs need all the "menu help" they can get -- I know :( ) and really bad forced file structure (folders must be four-letter named, or must be in the root? WTF?)

CDShell is much closer to the tool I need, but I'm not convinced yet. I think I've found another way to circumvent the ISOLinux issues by way of creating a multisession ISO. One portion will be ISO9660-1999 and the other portion will be a much relaxed ISO9660 with file versioning removed and lower case allowed.

Should be feasible, working on it now.