[Question] 'Use Windows to Configure WLAN'

I assume you're installing a driver set that autoinstalls a proprietary management utility? Like Broadcom for example.

If your answer is yes, AND if you can't find this simple setting elsewhere, here is what I did for retaining full control on my D-Link dwl-g650+ wifi pcmcia card:

-Get the latest drivers set.

-Only extract from it the driver files (look in the .inf and get the files mentionned in the [sourceDisksFiles] section ... plus the .inf and any .cat hanging arround).

-Only install that driver (right-click/Install on the .inf, or New Hardware Wizard) at the exclusion of the full proprietary management utility.

Unattendedly, you would put those files in a folder under $OEM$\$1 refered to by OemPnPDriversPath in the [unattended] section of winnt.sif, or Bashrâtify it.

Doing so, only the necessary driver files for the card will be installed. The accompanying software (usually extremely useless) won't be installed and full control of the card will remain to windows.

You can then use windows, even unattendedly ;), to configure your WLan.

And LATER, optionnally install the full driver set if there is a functionnality you need in it. Hopefully the settings may be transmited from windows to the proprietary management utility. But this last part I'm not doing, so I wouldn't bet my D-Link card on it, even my Intel/pro 2100 3B :} .

RogueSpear: I have two WLAN NICS, one internal and one PCMCIA (mimo), the MIMO is installed wihtout application using .inf/.cat, the internal installs with software, however recently I just modified conifg to "USEWINDOWS". I guess since this WLAN nic were previously set to use it's own app, both NICS were defaulted to not use windows?

I'm guessing both will now be automaticly set to use windows, and problem solved on next install.

Djé: Thank you, however I have made my own script with a few minor improovements ;) Good work on yours though :), one question though, how early can you run your script or the Wireless network setup wizard?

This should really now be in drivers section, however how do I identify the driver files needed for install through winnt.sif? Only the .inf/.cat files?

I might aswell not install the app for the internal NIC as I'm not using it anyway.

Edited by BoardBabe

Inside the .inf file should be one or more CopyFile sections that list out the files the .inf will look for. You're right, you will need the .cat file, though it may not be listed anywhere in the .inf file.

one question though, how early can you run your script or the Wireless network setup wizard?
I only tried from RunOnceEx. But I would bet it works from cmdlines.txt: 'minutes' are going very fast after this point (T12) and Start Menu shortcuts (including the one to the Wireless Wizard) are created much before.

I'd love to read the results if you/someone experiment with this.

how do I identify the driver files needed for install through winnt.sif? Only the .inf/.cat files?
[selfquoting]look in the .inf and get the files mentionned in the [sourceDisksFiles] section ... plus the .inf and any .cat hanging arround. [/selfquoting]

Sorry if it was buried in a too long post, moreover inside a double IF statement that you may have evaluated to false ;).

I guess since this WLAN nic were previously set to use it's own app, both NICS were defaulted to not use windows?
Would you test this? That would be interesting to know.

I inderstand that both NICS are on the same computer. Why that if I may?

Please move the thread to the drivers section if you feel you should do so.

Edited by Djé

Already explained, but I'll shoot it out once more for ya.

As my laptop comes with an internal WLAN NIC for 802.11abg and I'm running on a MIMO network I have MIMO PCMCIA 802.11g notebookcard to take advantage of the increased network throughput speed and range that MIMO provides. Therefore two WLAN NIC's. And ofc. there is also a gigabit lan NIC.

However all problems solved now, did driver tweaking and it should all be fine now :)