[Question] - Can i use Remote Desktop from any PC?

GLO

After learning about XP Pro's simple vpn capabilities, i was thinking about how i can access my Outlook remotely. Using my work desktop PC on the work internet connection, or using my Laptop on a wifi hotspot.

thanks!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

It is possible to access a computer using Remote Desktop over the Internet, but several key ingredients must be present. You will need a routable IP address on the computer you are trying to connect to--if the PC is hooked up to a linksys (or similar) router with a private 192.168.x.x address, then you will need to enable port forwarding on the NAT settings so that the computer can be reached via the router's public IP address (provided by your ISP). If this doesn't make any sense then chances are you will a have a hard time getting this to work.

Assuming you computer has public, routable IP address (and you know what it is), then the other main roadblock would be firewalls. The default port for RD is 3389, so that port would have to be open on both ends of the connection.

If you are running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP and connecting to Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 you can use RPC over HTTP http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833401

Unfortunately im not running Exhange 2003 on my home network. :no:

It is possible to access a computer using Remote Desktop over the Internet, but several key ingredients must be present. You will need a routable IP address on the computer you are trying to connect to--if the PC is hooked up to a linksys (or similar) router with a private 192.168.x.x address, then you will need to enable port forwarding on the NAT settings so that the computer can be reached via the router's public IP address (provided by your ISP). If this doesn't make any sense then chances are you will a have a hard time getting this to work.

Assuming you computer has public, routable IP address (and you know what it is), then the other main roadblock would be firewalls. The default port for RD is 3389, so that port would have to be open on both ends of the connection.

Ok,

I know my desktop Pc's local IP address is on my home network,

and i also know what is the IP address for my internet connection.

I can enable port forwarding for port 3389 to the specific ip address on my PC.

And i know how to configure the hardware firewall in the routers.

So im 1/2 way there.

In my case i use a Motorola wireless Cable Modem/router (192.168.0.1), which is connected to a Dlink wireless router with Printer server (192.168.1.1) then this is connected to my desktop via the ethernet port.

Both the Motorola and Dlink have hardware firewalls and the desktop (say 192.168.1.111) has a software firewall. I can control each firewall individually.

So i presume that my next step would be to open up port 3389 on both routers;

then direct the motorola to direct that port to the Dlink router;

then direct the Dlink to forward that port to my desktop PC.

Configure the Zonealarm to open port 3389.

I presume that just like any remote desktop connection i just log in with my username and password.

Is that all the security that is offered?

And is this considered vulnerable? (ie will this allow hackers an easy target?)

Lastly, is it possible to do this over XP Pro's VPN capabililties?

Edited by GLO

Yes, all you have to do is open and forward port 1723. You will need to configure your software firewall to treat the VPN range as a local network.

Yes, all you have to do is open and forward port 1723. You will need to configure your software firewall to treat the VPN range as a local network.

How hard is that going to be to get the software firewall to treat the VPN range as a local network?

Where can i find instructions for that?

Thanks!

Edited by GLO