Having trouble with 98SE2ME not installing

I have followed all the instructions to the best of my ability, but, 98SE2ME refuses to install. I'm using version 98 SE 4. 10 .2222 A and version ME 4. 90 .3000 which is an OEM recovery set. 98SE2ME will not recognize the recovery cd's so I installed ME on a seperate hard drive hooked up as drive "D". 98SE2ME finds the files in "D:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN_10.CAB". Then runs through the extracion process and at the end it gives a very long list of "path not found".

When I re-start I see this:

WS\SYSTEM\GDI.W98>NUL

C:\>IF EXSIST C:\9!M\GDI.EXE COPY/ Y C:\9!M\GDI.EXE C:\9S2M\SYSTEM>NUL

Path not found - C: 9S2M\SYSTEM

C:\>IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL>NUL

C:\>IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL COPY/ Y C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.W98>NUL

C:\IF EXIST C:\9!M\USER.DLL COPY/ Y C:\9!M\USER32.DLL C:\9S2M\SYSTEM>NUL

Path not found - C:9S2M\SYSTEM

C:\>IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE C:9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE>NUL

C:\>IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE COPY/ Y C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.W98>NUL

C:\IF EXIST C:\9!M\USER.EXE COPY/ Y C:\9!M\USER.EXE C:9S2M\SYSTEM>NUL

Path not found - C:\9S2M\SYSTEM

C:\>IF EXIST C:\9!M\98MEDOS.BAT C:\9!M\98MEDOS.BAT

Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

It's possible that MDGx might miss this as it isn't posted in the 98SE2ME sticky thread. Perhaps you would get a quicker answer from him if you post it there?

98SE2ME will not recognize recovery CDs because those are proprietary CDs made by PC vendors/manufacturers/resellers/OEMs/VARs/etc. They do not contain standard Microsoft WinME *.CAB files.

When you saw those error messages, which 98SE2ME option were you trying to install?

Also, what is the drive letter where your Win98 SE OS is installed on?

Also, if there are disk/cluster/file errors [for which you should run scandskw from within Windows in order to fix them all], autoexec.bat [which is supposed to exist in C:\ root] might be damaged, and therefore it is not possible to rename it or write to it.

Also, if using any command interpreter other than COMMAND.COM [usually found in C:\ root and in %windir%] like 4DOS, some of the DOS commands that 98SE2ME depends on will not work properly.

This last topic is now fixed, please download 98SE2ME 3-19-2006 edition:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

I was using option #1

Win98 is installed on drive "C".

Since I'm starting out with a brand new hard drive, I will reformat and start all over using the new 3-19-2006 edition.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brad