How do I use adminpw.osc?

So there is a file called adminpw.osc. I want to make use of this file so that the user can set an admin password during the CIW setup, before windows even starts loading.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

-Allistah

Hey all..

So I have some more information about this. I've got a little farther, but it still isn't working right. I modified the oschoice.osc file to point to the adminpw.osc file. Then the adminpw.osc file points to warning.osc like the oschoice.osc file used to. All of that works. The screen comes up fine and allows you to enter your password. It will even complain if the passwords aren't the same (you have to enter the password twice to make sure you typed it in right).

I think the part where I'm going wrong here is in the sif file. Before I get to that, let me show the variable names that are being used for the password in the adminpw.osc file:

Password: <BR><INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORD" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20> <BR>
Confirm Password: <BR><INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORDCONFIRM" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20>

Now typically you'd just put the input name into the sif file surrounded by % %. For example, if you had <INPUT NAME="PID" MAXLENGTH=29> in your osc file, you'd put %PID% in the sif file to inherit the data that was entered for that variable during the CIW (Client Installation Wizard).

I thought about just putting %*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORDCONFIRM% but I just don't think that's correct.

I'll give it a try in a bit to see if this will work but I don't know if this is the right way to do this.

If anyone has any information on this, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Allistah

Hi there. Sometimes they're not joined to the domain. I have some configs that join them to workgroups.

Do you happen to know anything about this adminpw.osc file and how to use it? It seems that the TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD is undocumented or something. I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Yes, I'm doing RIS installs that were made from the files from a CD. I'm not adding anything special, just adding my NIC/sound drivers in the $OEM$ dir. No other packs or anything.

Any idea on this?

No, I've never bothered with those files before. As far as setting local user/admin passwords, I made an .HTA program to do that. However it runs from RunOnceEx, which I think is too far along for what you're looking for.

Hey all..

Password: <BR><INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORD" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20> <BR>
Confirm Password: <BR><INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORDCONFIRM" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20>

Hi, I'm new to using RIS, but here's what I have seen so far to set the local admin password.

You first need to change the following line in the OSChoice.osc file:

<FORM ACTION="WARNING">

Change to:

<FORM ACTION="ADMINPW">

Next, 2 carriage returns <BR> need to be removed from the AdminPW.osc file:

Password: <INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORD" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20> <BR>
Confirm Password: <INPUT NAME="*ADMINISTRATORPASSWORDCONFIRM" TYPE=LOCALPASSWORD MAXLENGTH=20>

Hope this helps.

Mike