Network Listener?... not sniffer

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am very new to development, but I have a very ambitious project. I am trying to capture data from as many as 35 endpoints. These endpoints will be sending me very similar data. The format will always be the same, but information should be different. What I am looking to do is this...

Capture data from all endpoints with this applicaiton (will run as a service)

Each "line" of data will be about 135 characters long.

I will need to log this data to at least a raw data file.

The application will need to add the source IP of the data to the record.

I would also like to create an "identifier" to be added to the record to be used for tracking/troubleshooting collection issues. (this can be recycled as long as it is large enough to keep records that are very close together from having the same identifier. This is due to the fact that during business hours, we have have hundreds of records per minute coming in.

The question is this: where would I begin to just get the service to listen on a particular port for this data from whatever endpoint?

Well, the idea is to have a service that is installed as part of a whole package that will do this. This service will capture all of the data and throw it into a raw data file to then be parsed by another process to be dumped into a SQL database for reporting.

The reporting part of this project I think I have handle on... it will all be done via forms.

I just don't know how to go about building the service to collect the data that will be reported on.

Well it may not be exactly what you're looking for but the utility I linked to can actually capture packets based on pretty specific criteria, and log it besides. If you really want to get involved in developing your own tools to do this, you're a better man than I.