Database output to a web page

so I have no idea where to start on this project. I have used the create webpage feature in Access2000 and it doesn't really do what I want it to do. Esentially I have a Roster page that I have set up and I want to link it to a database so that all people have to do is update a database to update the webpage. I've been told I can do this with some sort of asp or VBscript but I don't know how to set it up. I'm pretty good with html so designing the webpage side of it is easy, its just linking the fields to the Access database. I have a windows 2000 server, IIS that came installed with it, Office 2000 suite, they tell me that .net framework is installed but I haven't tried to run anything that would need yet. Here are some of the things I need to be able to do in this project:

- Have a DB front end for the common user to update

- Have the DB automatically update the webpage

- Be able to sort the records by date of arrival and department they are in

(each department has its own section on the webpage)

any ideas on where to start or possible script examples would be greatly appreciated, also and webpage that I could go to to see examples or something would be awesome. Thanks for you help with this.

sedd

• 1 month later...

If you have the money and you are really interested in this...Buy the ASP.NET Unleashed book. Its the greatest book on asp.net I have found. half is standard asp.net/html and the other half shows you how to connect to a DB backend. I can post an example if u want...

• 2 weeks later...

Umm how about getting something decent like MySQL and PHP working together like any other sane non-ASP person would :)

Oh and a copy of PHPMaker from here

PHPMaker will generate PHP code for you from a database...saves you tons of time.

If you really must stick with ASP, then the above site also has a similar tool called ASPMaker available. Either one will make your dreams of creating a user editable front end happen much quicker.

Edited by frodo

unfortunatly I don't really have much of a choice in what software to use, I have to make due with whats already installed on the system. Which sux a lot cause I have to code everything with notepad, which is fine for regular pages but this is something that I have never tried to do with just notepad. Thanks again for all your help with this.