Is there complexity in MSWord?

drewsky

I recently lost one and a half pages when MsWord XP crashed on me. I need help understanding something that maybe some people here can help me with.

How could MSWord crash? How is it possible? I'm honestly dumbstruck. I have been programming for almost 7 years and I know what it takes to write stable/unstable programs. I've also run some complex programs on my machine before. Things such as modern video games and physics/graphics demos, or programs I or other colleagues have written. I expect those things to have maybe a simple problem now and then. But even they rarely crash.

So how could such an incredibly simple system like a word processor have been screwed up so badly that it crashes?

Is there more complexity than I initially assumed?

word is more then just a story writer, much more. i even admit that i have absoulutly no clue what most of its features do.

however i give microsoft NO mercy when it comes to this, i lost a six page essay due to the factt that word blew up in my face when i hit save. this being on a computer that is reimaged daily(it is equvialent in every way possible with the other 600 computers at my high school) i think that this is something ms plans to have happen, why? i only have the theroy,

when ms plans to realse a new version of a software code in their older software makes that software carsh when it origanly would not have, thus forceing users in a way to upgrade

Well that's what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if I should say it on this forum. Hehe.

I have actually written a simple word processor before. It's absolutely featureless, but it doesn't crash! Maybe I should use that?

[edit] For my own credit, I didn't use that C++ Appwizard, I wrote it from 'scratch' using BlitzMax.

Edited by drewsky