[Help] network drive read-only issue

blasto

Hi,

we are using a network file server (xp sp2) to store shared data in a lan. Normally when a user tries to open a file over network which is currently in use by another user he is warned that the file is currently in use and can only be accessable read-only. But when the first user hibernates his computer keeping the file and the pertinent application open, the file slips out from its read-only state and anyone can modify it without any warning.

And when the users comes back from hibernation the file becomes un-saveble for both him and the other users. Thus everybody using the file needs to exit their applications resulting in loss of work done.

I'm searching for a way to keep once opened files to stay read-only even if the accessing computer goes hibernate. I would be glad if you share your experiences to resolve such an issue, I beilive that central data management is widely used and I wonder if its possible to use hibernation rather than powering off while still holding the files rights intact... thanks