GeForce4 420 Go Drivers

Hello,

I have a Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go with 32 MB memory, and installed de 36.48 drivers on XP MCE 2005.

When launching the Media Center Application I receive the error "Your video card or drivers are not compatible with Media Center". I already tryed to had on The Registry ..../MediaCenter/Video Settings the 2 keys, and the error disapear, but when launching videos the application starts fleeking and crashes the application.

Does anyone know what to do?

thanx

You don't need a new graphics card. Media Center will work fine with 32MB. The only reason you get this message is that Media Center checks whether your card supports DirectX 9 and appearently it does not. Therefore you need to add 2 registry keys to disable the check for DirectX. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings DWORD DisableDx9CapsCheck and DisableDxCheck both with value 1. Now Media Center won't start in safe mode anymore. Are 36.48 the latest drivers supporting your card?

This has already been asked and answered a couple of times on this forum.

Edited by flupke

I already tryed to had on The Registry ..../MediaCenter/Video Settings the 2 keys, and the error disapear, but when launching videos the application starts fleeking and crashes the application.

I also tryed to recompile the ehshell.exe but I get this error

D:\Documents and Settings\HOME\Desktop\BK>D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\F

ramework\v2.0.50727\ilasm /resource:ehshell.res /exe ehshell.il

Microsoft ® .NET Framework IL Assembler. Version 2.0.50727.42

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Assembling '\exe.il' to EXE --> '\exe.exe'

Could not open \exe.il

Assembling 'ehshell.il' to EXE --> '\exe.exe'

Source file is ANSI

' in: // Image base: 0x03720000x error at token '' // ILONLY

***** FAILURE *****

Sorry, I misread something in your first post I geuss.

Recompiling wont do anything good IMO. On my system (laptop with ATI graphics and AMD cpu) videos don't work good either with Windows Media Player. I don't think it has something to do with Media Center. Or don't you have the same problem with WMP? If it was an ATI card it could be something with the drivers. Maybe you have bad codecs or something. I don't know much about codecs and nVidia. But he rendering engine of Media Center is Media Player and a GeForce4 should be enough.

Hello,

I also have a laptop with the GeForce4 420Go, so buying a new video card is not a very good selection :no:

The WMP10 works fine.... But when lauching with the Media Center APP doesn't work...

Any workaround to this?

You don't need a new graphics card. Media Center will work fine with 32MB. The only reason you get this message is that Media Center checks whether your card supports DirectX 9 and appearently it does not. Therefore you need to add 2 registry keys to disable the check for DirectX. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings DWORD DisableDx9CapsCheck and DisableDxCheck both with value 1. Now Media Center won't start in safe mode anymore. Are 36.48 the latest drivers supporting your card?

This has already been asked and answered a couple of times on this forum.

That's retarded! It actually punishes you just because the video card don't support pixel shader 2?!

When it don't even use pixel shader 2!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem with MCE crashing and freezing at random moments. I have it running on my Compaq Presario R3000 with the Geforce 4 440 Go 64MB video card. Even on a fresh install with the latest Compaq driver, it still kept crashing. The problem was the videocard drivers. Compaq doesn't update their drivers for the videocard, and nVidia doesn't have any reference drivers for mobile video cards on their website.

However I did find a solution. I found these updated Forceware Mobile drivers from www.tweaksrus.com. They are tweaked and optimized for games, but I thought it would work well with MCE as well. After uninstalling the Compaq drivers and installing the Tweaks R Us Forceware Mobile drivers, MCE worked perfectly without crashing. If you want to give it a try you can download the drivers here:

http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=...d=163&Itemid=41