Need info on creating a backup server

twostep

I am a tad rusty on the networking skills and I need to create a backup server for our main server. I have been instructed to created a server that will automatically be up and running if our server goes down. I cannot find anything other than mirroring and RAID and, from what I read, those do not include a seperate server. Obviously, I want the server running if the other server goes down, so they would be running at the same time I imagine.

Am I missing something in the mirroring/RAID? Or is there another technique? i can't find any info on this, even in my Server 2003 Bible.

Thanks,

twostep

What you want is failover clustering.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...ng/default.mspx

This requires at least two servers that are identical in both hardware and software. It also requires an external storage solution that is attached to both servers. This can be either an external SCSI enclosure attached to cluster aware RAID controllers in each server or a fiberchannel enclosure attached to fiberchannel HBAs (host bus adapters) in each server. Using a SCSI enclosure will limit you to only two nodes in the cluster* so you need to decide which method you want to use before purchasing any equipment.

* Unless you use iSCSI, but see the information on the page linked above.

iSCSI is an option is you need clustering on the cheap, but if it can be afforded go with the fiber channels. will make for a better responding server,

what you would be looking for would be a active, passive setup for your cluster, or active, active. one thing to remeber is clustering is about high availability, fail over is good but there may a few second or so ( depending on hardware and config) where the machine would not be available as the second node kicks in, but over all shouldn't be noticeable.

better questions is this you only server? or a main server that cannot go down, clustering is not the cheapest route to go but the best for making sure that resources will be available to clients all the time.

Edited by fizban2

Hi there folks (and fellow San Antonian):

I'm still a little unclear on a couple things.

Yes, this is the only and main server.

Yes, i want it up but a few seconds lag time, depending on the cost diff is negotiable.

When you say everything identical, you mean hardware, software, etc., correct? Can I copy it all over? If so how?

Is this clustering using Server 2003's backup software?

And finally, this external storage....are you saying the hard drive needs to be external on each?

I basically have the server setup, so I would only need to order another just like it. What does the external storage/Hard drive do?

Ok, and now really finally, how the heck does it know when to switch the the other server???

THANK YOU!

If this is your main server then I asssume it's the domain controller running W2K3 and this is what you want to provide a backup for in case the first fails and no one can login to the domain share files etc. All you need to do is get yourself another server with enough resources to handle what trhe first server is doing and perhaps a little extra to give you a bit of leeway. Boot up your new server and assign it an ip that is consistent with your network and then connect it to your network. Then run the manage your server wizard and select the custom installation option when it gives you the list of what can be installed select Active directory option then click next, it then asks if this server is for a new domain or a backup to an existing domain, select the backup option and then follow the wizard through to the end, it will copy over the existing domain setting and shared files and configure you original server to know it has a backup domain controller. Acess to shared files etc will be quicker while both servers are running as both will communicate with each other and provide load balancing and a degree of fault tolerence.

If its a different OS than Server 2003 then please post the OS so I can you you a quick walkthrough of what to do.

Edited by Littlebr00k

That sounds waaayyyy too simple and good to be true. That's it? I don't connect it directly to the server via NIC? just to the network somewhere and it will automatically configure, etc. and kick in if the main server goes down?

Does it make a difference if our network has a static IP address?

Thanks.

Yes it's windows server 2003.

twostep

Littlebr00K,

is what you mention above the same as clustering? if so, I am wondering if I should get a more experienced tech to do it. It sounds so simple though....especially if it kicks in automatically. How do outside browsers know that it's the server if the main one has crashed?

Thanks.

Yes that's all you do, M$ did get that bit right - especially were active directory replication is involved.

Just connect it to the network not directly to your other server and away you go. The fact that you have a static ip address makes no difference. Obviously no two computers can have the same ip on a network so if your original server is 10.0.0.1 make the new one 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.254 or any number inbetween, Dont allow the backup server to obtain it's ip via dhcp, assign it one this save's all pc's and the original server seaching for it.

No it's not the same as clustering, as in clustering all servers work together to distribute the load. With a backup server, the backup server sits idle 99% of the time and only starts answering requests if the main server doesn't respond in a timely fashion or crashes. The transfer of work load is seamless and is handled by the backup server. You don't need an outside tech to do it, just read what the wizard says and you will have no problems. Run backup servers here created this way and all of them take up the load within a fraction of second of the main server going down.

Edited by Littlebr00k

Thank you! Final question (she says) Just curious, is that the same as clustering, or what is that actaully called, Active Server whatchamacallit?

:)

Hope I answered that on my previous post.

Clustering is when servers distribute the workload between them to finish the request.

Active Directory allows all settings, shares, passwords etc, to be maintained over several servers when just amending the details on one. The amendments are replicated over the domain when workload and network resources allow.

I guess I should've asked that question initially...

Are you looking for something in case your Active Directory Domain Controller goes down....or do you need the files to be available as well? What we're asking is what exactly does the current server do and what do you need to be available should that server fail?

Also, fizban2....the terms Active/Passive and Active/Active only apply to SQL Server Clusters. :)

Not necessarily - you can have active/active file clusters, active/active print clusters, active/active Exchange clusters...

Why anyone would have an active/active cluster is a bit beyond me, because you remove the redundancy portion of it, but I guess sometimes performance is more needed than failover.

Thanks Littlebr00k!!!

Forgive me but I'm new to this forum. Don't mean to ask twice but I'm uncertain how to see all responses even when I click the entire thread I'm coming up empty.

Yes, this is the only and main server.

Yes, i want it up but a few seconds lag time, depending on the cost diff is negotiable.

When you say everything identical, you mean hardware, software, etc., correct? Can I copy it all over? If so how?

And finally, this external storage....are you saying the hard drive needs to be external on each?

I basically have the server setup, so I would only need to order another just like it. What does the external storage/Hard drive do?

How the heck does it know when to switch the the other server???

And fiber, is that just the cable to connect to the network as opposed to Cat 5?

Sorry for the bold, just trying to make my questions clear. I'll get the protocol for this forum down soon.

twostep

I think we are reaching out a little farther then what Twostep is looking for

Yes, this is the only and main server
Now is this a SBS server? being the only and main server that seems like the case, getting a second Server that you install SBS to and create a Second DC (my knowledge of SBS is limited, can't rember if it can handle more then one) on the 2 machines you can create a DFS root for having availablility of all your information and data is either machine went down
When you say everything identical, you mean hardware, software, etc., correct?

for the Cluster yes, everything would have to be the same, same machine, same config, same programs installed, data could be copied over after a DFS root was created so data isn't that much an issue

When clustering it is recommended to use a SAN or NAS device to store the quroum and data for the Cluster rather then internal HDs for another tier of redundency

@ littlebrook,

there aren't backup domain controllers in 2003 anymore just straight DC's not a problem though they still have the same effect, but if one goes down, the other picks up that slack and nothing really goes down, (unless it is dependent of the server that went down)

There can only be one SBS server in a domain (if I'm not mistaken, there can only be one SBS server on a network). So if this is SBS then having another domain controller to pickup if the primary fails is also out of the question... :(

@cluberti: Sorry, you are correct about the other Active/Active setups (but you knew that :D) I'm just used to dealing with the terms for SQL Server because that's what mine runs... :whistle: