Streamlining Office

Doctor Trout

Hi guys,

I've been using nLite to streamline down by Windows CDs, which is very, removing all the components I don't need and making my installs nice and sleek by default. However, I was wondering whether there was a similar piece of software for Office, or, if not, if there was a way of doing a similar thing.

You see, when I install Office 2003, all I want is Powerpoint, Word, Publisher and Excel. I don't want most of the other tools, and I only want English proofing tools. This is fair enough, and you can do this all through the advanced setup. However, I was wondering whether there was a way to delete all these extra bits I don't want from the entire disc, making a kind of streamlined unattended ISO which I can burn,

Thanks a lot for any ideas anyone can offer.

Doesn't Shrink Office just remove the foreign language files? I'd quite like to really rip my office CD apart - deleting, for example, all of Access. You see, after I've installed Office on my computer the program files folder is about 145 MB big. The install ISO I have is about 500 (which seems a bit silly). I tried Shrink Office and that did cut it down to about 300, but that's still twice the size of the program files folder. I know there are other bits of office elsewhere, but, really, if anything my install source should be smaller than my office install.

That's exactly what Office Shrink does. It examines your system and packages ONLY the components that are needed to complete an install that YOU have defined (using an MST file). It works perfectly (if you folow the instructions carefully) and is VERY efficient (I have an OfficeXP package here that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Frontpage and Outlook at only 72Mb on my Unattended CD - 7-Zip installer).