system hangs on shut down

When I try to restart or shutdown windows, the system seems to hang. Task manager wont display, no programs will open ( I get a warning which says the program can not open because windows is shutting down...) I end up having to restart manualy. The Event viewer displays this message:

"Windows saved user **EDITED**\HP_Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

I've tried uninstalling adware remover, antivirus software, other software and still no luck. How can I figure out what service is hanging?

• 2 weeks later...

When I try to restart or shutdown windows, the system seems to hang. Task manager wont display, no programs will open ( I get a warning which says the program can not open because windows is shutting down...) I end up having to restart manualy. The Event viewer displays this message:

"Windows saved user **EDITED**\HP_Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

I've tried uninstalling adware remover, antivirus software, other software and still no luck. How can I figure out what service is hanging?

Use something i like to call HIVE cleaner from microsoft! It makes all processes terminate when you shut down your computer it can be downloaded here

Edited by wolf74481

UPH is a good idea I run it on all my systems at work.

If it doesn't work I would suggest trying the following.

Download autoruns from www.sysinternals.com. Go to the logon tab and disable anything you don't need. If you don't know what something does go to http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm and download Start_ups.exe. This program list many startup apps, what it does and if it is safe to delete it.

This may sound strange for the problem you are having since it is a startup issue. However, I had a system where one program running at startup wasn't working correctly and it prevented the rest of the programs from running. Once that program terminated (when I shut down the system) the other programs would try to run and I would get the program can not open because windows is shutting down error message.

After disabling the entries try shutting down the system twice. The first time you will still get the errors because the changes you made won't take affect until after you reboot.

UPH is a good idea I run it on all my systems at work.

If it doesn't work I would suggest trying the following.

Download autoruns from www.sysinternals.com. Go to the logon tab and disable anything you don't need. If you don't know what something does go to http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm and download Start_ups.exe. This program list many startup apps, what it does and if it is safe to delete it.

This may sound strange for the problem you are having since it is a startup issue. However, I had a system where one program running at startup wasn't working correctly and it prevented the rest of the programs from running. Once that program terminated (when I shut down the system) the other programs would try to run and I would get the program can not open because windows is shutting down error message.

After disabling the entries try shutting down the system twice. The first time you will still get the errors because the changes you made won't take affect until after you reboot.

very interesting

• 2 months later...

I second the use of UPHClean - if you've got an application or (surprisingly) print driver that won't relinquish it's hold on the registry, you'll get these odd hang behaviors on logout or shutdown, and the only way to resolve it (other than uninstalling/removing the offending bit of product) is to use UPHClean.