How to check 2000/2003 servers have the lastes SUS updates ?

stickzilla

I was curious if there was any short way determine if a 2000 or 2003 server machine has been receiving their windows updates ?

We have found a server of ours has not been updated in a while, and during some maintenance this weekend we shall be checking other servers to see if they require updates as well. We use a SUS server, but it seems that maybe something isn't set up properly. As a precautionary measure, we want to verify that the others are getting updates since we are going to be shutting down / rebooting everything anyways.

Anyways, does anybody know of a quick way to check on this ? I am going to be checking on over 100 servers, so the faster the better.

Currently off the top of my head I am wondering if I should just run systeminfo and look at the last KB listed. If its the last one to be put out by our SUS servers, then that machine is fine.

If you go to the root of your Server under C:\windows..

look for a file called WindowsUpdate.log all your SUS/WSUS information is located in this log file.

I'm curious why are you using SUS when WSUS is available for free with many updated feutures?

Minus Human

As Minus previously stated, you can check the Windowsupdate.log file on the server you believe to be having the issue to see the log of AU traffic on the server in question - there's likely errors being logged there.

We have a network of up to 16,000 machines across my state, so it takes a while before something that will impact everything gets distributed and put into production. We are in the process of testing WSUS now.

I'll check out the .log files also, thanks.