Issues opening files

laurel_eliza

I need some help! I am able to open Word files if I already have the Word program open and use the open command from within. But, when I try to open a word file just by clicking on the file itself, it opens word, but it just continues to say Running virus scan in the lower left corner and the Word window in the taskbar just continously blinks orange. Its opening word so it's not a file association issue, and it just started happening out of the blue. Any suggestions on how to correct would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

I have Norton Anti-Virus, but it is still scanning the file either way according to the prompt at the bottom of the window when I open the file (if that helps). I did attempt to turn off the scanning of files as a test, but when I opened the file it still tried to scan it. Do I need to restart before those settings take effect? Thx!

you shouldn't need to reboot to turn off on-access scanning, however, with norton, i suppose anythings possible.

as much as you may not want to hear this, i'd highly suggest removing norton - that is, if you even can. it is a known source of many problems for many people. once removed, see if your problem still persists.

if you need help choosing an alternative to norton, please say so.