Windows 2003 won't shutdown

lamaq

I have a test machine running Windows Server 2003 (with AD, Exchange and SQl Server) that is setup to shutdown at night. Ever since I installed Virtual Server 2005 R2 the machine won't shut down. Looking at the event viewer doesn't tell me much but it does show that after the services are shut down they try to restart again. Anyone know why this might be happening?

This has been happening for about a week but because I don't usually have the PC hooked up to a monitor (I use Remote Desktop) I have only witnessed what was happening once. The shutdown warning message appears giving 30 seconds before shutdown then all the apps start to close and it goes to a blank blue screen (I would presume explorer.exe has ended at this point) but doesn't do anything after this.

From the event log it shows service trying to restart some successfull some not.

Already tried UPHclean, thought it had done the trick at first but ended with the same result. I'll try turning off the Anti-Virus and test it now.

Ok this is getting a bit strange. I ran my shutdown scheduled task having disabled my Anti-Virus and this time it shut down but restarted. The command run was D:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f which shouldn't make it restart.

edit: It's happened again. I think I might have a look at my BIOS settings to see if anything might be happening there.

Edited by lamaq