64 Bit push?

Nakatomi2010

I know XP x64 Edition was more geered towards getting people to want to start creating 64-bit software, and I was wondering if Vista is probably going to be the pusher of 64-bit software...

And what I mean by this is that since each Vista DVD is going to be the full blown operating system (Full featured, CD Keys activate different components), that 64-bit Vista will be included when a customer buys a copy...

What this allows Microsoft to do is support old 32-bit people who upgrade just the OS, while all the newer computers built once Vista is released will probably have 64-bit vista pre-loaded on them...

Is this going to probably be how its done, or will there still be a split market? I mean we're all going 64-bit, we might as well force it down people's throats at some point, whether they like it or not, and the launch of a new standard operating system seems like as good a time as any...

Thoughts?

depeding on what version they buy i would expect they get a certain number of verions in the WIM that will be on their DVD, remeber most computer retailers don't give you the install cd or dvd anymore for the OS, just a restore disc, if you were to actually go out and buy vista, i would expect that you would get some of hte versions that are either above or below the leve of the one that you bought. or MS could go the route of stuffing every version onto the DVD (which is possible, x86, tablet and server edtions are only 1.9 gig atm) i would bet more of a DVD of 86x with all the versions or 64x with all the versions, but not one with both.

I read somewhere, forgot where, that they ARE keeping ALL Vista versions on single DVD, because they're having problems coping with all the different master images of XP, they want to fix that by just maintaining the one image...

But as you said, probably a 64, and a 32 bit image, not both...

yeah 2 images most likely, they are using a tool call ximage, to have all the images in one, they do this already with vista, longhorn server, and the tablet edition of vista (in 5270) the release a demo of ximage with beta 1, it is very very cool, will make creating a standard image for a company very easy to do.

Yeah i read that all the bits will be there on the dvd and the customer can unlock them by getting on the website and paying with their credit card. I think there is potential for hackers getting more than their money's worth however. Anyway I think Vista 64 bit will definitely be pushing for more apps but just like the way x64 was not as succesful in that respect I think the same might happen with Vista as well. Only enthusiasts are using x64 AFAIK. And they love it.