W2k3 Conversion

Javlin8

Quick question: is is possible to convert a W2K3 Enterprise Evaluation Server installation to a W2K3 Standard Server? If so, how? I have the license for Standard and do not want to use an enterprise license for what this server does. (Needless to say, I didn't set this up originally!) Thanks!

You should never go from Trial to Production like that...backup, format, and reload with the new official software. Trial software, even the ones as good as M$ OS, are never reliable when upgraded to the full version. Some may argue otherwise, but from experience your best bet is to reload.

You could try doing an in-place upgrade, but I don't know if that will work between different versions of 2003.

I agree - this should never have happened. I found out about it recently and this server was apperently taken from test to production and the admin that did it (as it usually happens) is longer there. Evidently there are 12 days left on the evaluation. I've also been told that this server runs production software that, well, let's just say that the production people don't want the server to go down. I've never taken an evaluation install and made it a regular, licensed version and then put it in production much less tried the take the Enterprise level down to the Standard level. I was just wondering if it was possible since my boss asked me the same question and didn't appreciate it when I laughed. I thought it was a joke....

Memnoch is right,

not much choice but to backup everything, format the drive and install Standard then restore everything back, can the App run on another serve temporarily? if this server was in test before was there a production server that was running this before you could bring back online while you do the update. Sounds like you may have a weekend install coming up :(

I thought that might be my answer. No other servers are currently running this software package that I am aware of - but then again, I wasn't aware of this evaluation either. I'll probably deploy a server over and work through the transition - I think your weekend comment is going to be accurate. All in the glorious life of a sysadmin:) Thanks for your time and assistance - it is much appreciated!