Incorporating Office Sounds into Office 2003

SRJ

Hey all :hello: ,

I've just incorporated Office Sounds into my unattended installation of Office 2003 and thought others may benefit from my work so here it is.

Requirements

• Pre-existing administrative install of Office 2003 (Guide to do this here if you don't know how)
  • Office 2003 Resource Kit (more info on using this to preconfigure Office 2003 here)

Step 1 - Download Office Sounds and create an administrative install by extracting all files to a temporary directory (in this case I'm using c:\temp) using:

setup.exe /T:C:\Temp /C

Step 2 - You will now have a directory with two files: Launcher.exe and sounds.msi. We only want sounds.msi so you can discard/ignore Launcher.exe. Next, we need to extract the WAV files from sounds.msi. To do this, use the following and then follow the prompts:

msiexec.msi /a sounds.msi

You'll now have a directory hierachy as such: Windows/Media/Office97 which is filled with WAV files.

Step 3 - Now run Microsoft's Custom Installation Wizard (which was part of the Office 2003 Resource kit), select 'Next'. Once you've selected your .msi file (mine is PRO11.msi) select 'Next'. If you don't already have an MST file then create one, otherwise select your unattended MST file and select 'Next'.

Step 4- Now, in the top right hand corner of MS's CIW there is a dropdown list box (x of X) which represents all the configuration pages you can access and configure. Select page 11 - Add/Remove Files. NOTE: You may be asked if you want to overwrite your previous MST, I selected yes but if you're worried choose a different MST file to save your changes to.

Step 5 - Select 'Add Files' and navigate to the directory where you unpacked your sound files (in Step 2). As all the files are to be installed in the same location, you can select them all and click 'OK'. You will now be presented with another dialog box asking you where to install the files you've just selected. Type the following in:

<Windows>\Media\Office97

Now click 'Next'. You should now be on the Add/Remove registry entry screen.

Step 6 - To make life easier, I've attached the registry entries required for Office Sounds to work correctly. So, download them and save the file to a location you can easily access. Once you've done that click 'Import', navigate to the location you just saved the .reg file to and select the file. Then click 'OK'. This will easily load all the registry settings.

Done! :thumbup

A few notes:

• Uninstalling Office 2003 will NOT REMOVE any of the Office Sounds registry entries/files. As such, if you ever want to remove them then you'll need to do it manually. This is actually not that difficult as the entries/files you need to get rid of are as follows:
    * All Office97 entries in the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels] key
    * The [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Office97] in toto.
    * All files in Windows\Media\Office97 (ie. just delete the directory)

• Your current sound settings will NOT be modified as the registry changes set the sound setting to .Current (rather than .Default or "" <- which is none!)

Enjoy! :yes:

Office_Sounds.reg