[Question] - Same profile for all computers on network

kabix

hey,

i have around 20 computers on the network. and when i login to each computer as admin there are different settings for each. i was wondering is there a way so that i could have the same account settings on all machines? also it would be good if i could modify the settings and push account again each time i need to change it.

thanks a lot.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

This is easiest if your machines are in a domain (enable "roaming profiles" and use a domain user account), but if you are using the local Administrator account on 20 machines you can specify a common network location for the user profile:

Create a network share on a single machine which will always be online, call it something like AdminProfile$ and grant Everyone full access

On each of the 20 machines:

Right-click My Computer, click Manage

Drill down into Local Users and Groups / Users

Right-click on Administrator, click Properties

Go to the Profile tab and enter the Profile path as \\machine_where_share_is\AdminProfile$

Now when you log in any of the Administrator users they should take their profile (settings) from this central location.

If an Administrator logs on when the profile share is not accessible it will use the locally cached copy.

This is not the most secure of setups, but if you were bothered about security you would be using a domain ;)

One caveat to bear in mind is that the last Administrator to log out will overwrite the profile, so if you log in simultaneously on two machines A and B, then edit the profile on A and log out, then log out on B the changes will be undone.

so the easiest way to do is roaming profile. is it possible to avoid logging in to each machine?

You could bring up the Computer Management console on one machine, then right-click "Computer Management (Local)" then click "Connect to another computer ...".

From there you can enter the name of another computer, authenticate as a local administrator, and make the changes.

i dont think that this is relative to the question but...

how can i find out what machines are online at the moment? and what user was last logged in? is it possible or i need additional software?

thanks.

how can i find out what machines are online at the moment?

Network Neighborhood or NET VIEW information could be used, but can be out of date depending on how WINS is configured.

and what user was last logged in?

Security log in Event Viewer - "Logon/Logoff" category events.