Setting up Default User

I have an issue that hopefuly someone can help me with.

I set the HKCU RunOnce during the GUI setup, hoping that it'll be copied to the Default User (HKU,.Default...\RunOnce) at the first boot, so that a script is copied to any new user profile and run a particular script.

Well, the RunOnce contents are copied to the Default user properly, but no matter how much I beg, it will not copy to the profile of the new user (after the Administrator), and of course, it doesn't run.

I thought that maybe RunOnce is ignored by the Default User, so I did the same thing using HKU,.Default...\Run with a command at the beginning of the script to erase the HKCU...\Run entry. Only, there is no such entry, because it's not copied either. I can verify that the Default User contains the command to run the script, it's just that it's not being passed to a new user profile when they first logon.

I hope that I explained this adequately and someone may have an idea as to why things aren't working as they should.

Entries in the HKU\.DEFAULT hive are graphical changes for the initial logon environment only, this is not the "default user" registry hive. All application-level registry changes need to be made to the ntuser.dat file stored in the %systemdrive%\documents and settings\default user\ folder, or import the registry changes during Windows setup. Unless your changes are to the initial logon environment, your registry changes will not be imported into any new user profiles.

I'm not sure where the myth of the HKU\.DEFAULT hive being the default user's profile location began, but it's not true.

Generally what I do with my installs is copy the ntuser.dat file from the Administrator profile to the Default User profile. It's always towards the end of the install routine so most of the settings I care about are already in there. The scripting gets a little bit convoluted, but after you've been doing for a little while it makes perfect sense. To get an idea of what I'm doing you can check out the VBscripts I use with RIS installs in the thread for my RIS guide (see my sig for the link).

Not a problem - always glad to help. And RogueSpear's links are very good places to look for vbs scripts that will help you do what you are looking to do - I've been known to borrow his code from time to time as well :).