LAN how to control download of its PCs

zillah

I have got 3 PCs are accessing the internet through the LinkSys ADSL Router WAG54G, These PCs are in different places, two of them (Laptops,,,La and Lb) accessing the router wireless and the third one (Desktop,,,D1) wired.

These PCs are in different places in an office.

What should I do if I want to control the download of these PCs,,,(i.e. they can't download at any time the like to download )

Suppose I am using La and I want to stop D1 form downloading because he slows down the net,,, What should I do ?

Note: I just want to disable the ability of a download,,,,I have got no problem if he want to browse.

solutions..

1. If they're using IE and not too smart.. you can do this:

http://familyinternet.about.com/cs/interne...disabledown.htm

but downloading with firefox, wget, download accelerators.. etc.. will still be allowed, and you'd have to undo this every time they needed a file.

2. install a program on the computer in question to limit the bandwidth.. but i doubt if its someone elses comp that they'll let you do this.

3. setup a computer between the modem and router (comp with 2 ethernet cards) and run some sort of program on it to deny downloads..

4. setup a domain/group policies?? not sure if you could do this.. but all comps would have to be able to join domains.. so Linux, Windows XP PRO, Windows 2000, Windows2003. *Windows XP Home does not allow joining of domains!*