Novell CLient & Default Roaming Profile problem

creol

I am trying to roll out XP SP2, and I have one last issue. I wanted to use a Default Roaming Profile that is shared out from the AD server. It is all standard, the Default User folder is found in the NETLOGON folder etc... It works great when I try using it without the Novell Client, but after I install the Novell Client then it will only grab the Local Default User profile.

Here is the setup I have on the Network:

Workstations = Windows XP SP2

Servers = Win 2003 (no SP yet)

Network File Server = Netware 5.1 (thus the need for the Novell Client)

Novell Client ver. = 4.90 SP2

Has anyone run into this problem? Please don't tell me it's by design!!!

Your help is appreciated!!

The problem is that the novell client replaces the default msgina.dll with it's own, and it lacks the winlogon hooks to look in \\dc\netlogon\default user - so yes, it's (sort of) by (a lack of) design. This is an issue I've run into many times, and there is no workaround short of not using the novell client.

The only other thing you could do is prepopulate the default user profile on the machine with one from your network after installation (either RIS or CD), but you'd need a script that would do this on each machine (either runonceex or domain admin login script). This also won't help you on existing machines, but it'd at least be a workaround for new ones.

Have you considered migrating your network servers to Novell's Linux? It would negate the need for the netware client.

Wow that sucks!!! I have just created the generic work around where I copy the Default profile directly over the local WS profile during the install. I really did not want to go that route. I might even have to create a script that runs with elevated privliges to overwrite the local default profile anytime I update it on the network. What a hack job Novell did on this one!?! :}

In our environment I cannot go Linux. Too bad!!!

If anyone has a better solution I would still be very interested in it.

Edited by creol

Being primarily a Novell shop of approx 2000 users, I would recommend trying this:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/s...gi?10054281.htm

It's not supported, but it works for us. You can still login to Novell -after- the MS login, by calling the Novell login from the MS login script, or a Startup folder shortcut, or manually opening the Novell Login shortcut from the Start Menu.

Edited by Bleeder