Help needed!

feelme

Hi there, I have this problem that I have been trying to fix with no success. My PC runs Windows2K Professional. I opened the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) dialog and checked the Enable ICS checkbox but I did not see an "Enable on demand dialling" dialog box. Is it always there or is there some service or something that I need to install?

2ndly, My PC (Windows 2000) has the dial up connection and I am using a crossover cable to connect to a PC running Windows 98. I want my W2K PC to be the gateway through which the Win98 PC connects to the web.

FYI, both PCs can ping each other and I can surf using my W2K which accesses the web via a dial-up connection.

The other PC [Win98] cannot, however, access the net or receive a reply from my one of my ISP's servers when I ping.

I have been to support.Mcft.com but I haven't received all the information that I need, i.e, Do I setup both computers with a private IP? And if I use my Win@K PC as the gateway, I will need to configure the other PC's connection settings; what port number do I use for the gateway's proxy?

If you can help me solve this, you can go to bed knowing you've made my day.

Thanks

Yes, you need to have an IP address configured for both computers. Set the Windows 2000 machine's IP to 192.168.0.1 and set the Windows 98 machine's IP to 192.168.0.2. Set the gateway for both machines to 192.168.0.1. You'll also need to know the DNS servers for your ISP because you'll have to configure them as well.

You don't need to configure a Proxy server within IE because you're not actually running a Proxy server. ICS will turn your Windows 2000 machine into a router/gateway for other machines on your network. If you add anymore machines to your network just configure them the same way as the Windows 98 machine, but increment the IP address by one for each machine (i.e. next machine's IP would be 192.168.0.3).

As for the on-demand dialing, I'm not sure...it's been a really long time since I've messed with a dial-up connection. When I did have dial-up I had that working, but that was so long ago that Windows 2000 was still in beta and was still known as Windows NT 5.0 at the time. At any rate, if it doesn't work having to manually dial the connection then you won't be able to tell if on-demand dialing will work...so let's get the manual method working first. :)

Still doesn't work. I was thinking that, perheps it could be because I am usin a bac-to-back connection (using a crossover vable). I installed WinProxy but I find it a bit complicated to use. Is there any other way I can use?