[Help] - External USB Drive Boot issue

svasutin

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with their XP CD/DVD not being able to read files on the disc? Not from a bad burn, but something about, "Windows cannot find filename" during the textmode portion of the setup, or the GUI, when installing from an external USB device. The filename appears random, but repeats if you are using the same partition and volume information. The issue occurs after the diskpart/format screen, and before T-13.

Essentially my system only has the hdd, audio, and video, everything else is USB. My idea is to disconnect and turn off as much as possible when I go to render. The keyboard is a Belkin usb 2.0 + 2 port low power usb 1.1 hub device. Hence everything 1.1 is connected through the keyboard (mobo usb prts 1/2 ~ 12 mbs). The keyboard is on usb port 1 (out of 6 ~ 4 by super i/o 2 on the front of the tower).

When I connected the external USB 2.0 dvdrw to ports 2 through 6, the cannot find error occurs during the txtsetup, or BSoD's/"Setup cannot find the file" during the gui portion. It seems the other ports go to sleep when not in use ~ after a long format or detection. The only consistently successful installations occur when I connect the external USB optical drive through the keyboard hub.

I'm looking for confirmation about this issue. Since I can boot from the drive, I don't think it is an enumeration problem (in the text portion), so I'm thinking it could be either an ACPI or motherboard bug.

Thank you again for your help.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian