Removing Unknown User in Folder security

d-shade

I was wondering how i can remove an unknown user from the folder security tag..

It just says unknown user and I can edit anything in that tab anymore is there anyway i can get around this problem?

Also im guessing this is causing a problem with copying files to my flash drive.

Any files in that folder has it wont let me copy. even if i copy that file to a different hd it wont let me copy it to the jump.

but i can copy any other file without any problems.

Edited by d-shade

On the Security tab where the users with permission are listed, you should be able to select the "unknown user" and click Remove to take them off the list.

Unknown users will be ones that exist on other installations of Windows and so cannot be dereferenced by their GUID.

If I created an NTFS file system on a USB memory stick and added my local users with permissions, then we took the stick and connected it to your machine, you would see lots of unknown users.

There are a few "well known" GUIDs like the local Administrators group which are tokens which should work across different systems, but local user-created users would have (effectively) unique IDs and only make sense to the local SAM database.

What you can do is assume ownership of the folder and give it to a specific local user or group on the target system, then the permissions can be changed.

On the Security tab, click the Advanced button, then select the Owner tab and you can assign ownership to a specific local user/group.

hmm i think i explained it wrong..

in the folder security tab there is a group/user called Account Unknown.

and I can't edit remove add anyone on this list.

It would be great if there was a way to reset all the folder settings..

even if i set it back to simple sharing the comp still acts up on that folder showing the same problems

I also noticed i can edit any of the files in that folder and subfolder.

but I can copy them to the desktop but not to my flash drive.

would i have to format?

would that solve this problem or would it render the folder useless?

hmm i think i explained it wrong..

Okay, let's try to clarify the issue you have...

in the folder security tab there is a group/user called Account Unknown.

and I can't edit remove add anyone on this list.

First question - "can't edit, remove or add anyone"...

- who is in the list?

- what happens if you attempt to add a new user?

- what happens if you attempt to remove an existing "unknown user"?

even if i set it back to simple sharing the comp still acts up on that folder showing the same problems

"Simple File Sharing"... this is to do with network shares, not NTFS security permissions... are you looking at the Sharing tab inside "Permissions" rather than the Security tab of the folder?