Windows Server 2003 And LDAP

InTheWayBoy

Well, I've finally come up with what I think is an answer to my most recent post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=62775

Instead of modifying each users PST, I found that I can configure Outlook to use an LDAP server...and apparently AD is LDAP. So, I started to dig it...and I'm almost there, but I have a few questions:

1. Is there a list or a reference to how all this dc=domain, ou=users works? I think I kinda have if figured out, but that's only by just looking at examples. I would feel much better if I had a legend to have around.

2. With LDAP, is there anything extra I should be doing in AD to make sure the info is passed? Meaning, when I create a new user all the necessary info should be avalible via LDAP without any extra steps right? And if not, what are some things to do to make sure of that.

3. When configuring Outlook to use LDAP, the default is one port number, M$ suggests another, and various other whitepapers seem to reference a third port. From what I can tell the last port mentioned is for SSL, but what about the other two? I don't have the port numbers handy, but the default one is XXX and the one M$ suggests is XXXX so it's very different.

4. Are there any programs to 'view' the LDAP info in it's raw form...instead of the ADified info?

5. With Outlook, are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of? Best Practices?

Thanx in advance...and I can provide any other info necessary, just wanted to keep it brief.