acpi.sys win98SE

slu77er

G'day all,

I hope one of the gurus here can help me with this cos it really has me stumped!

In device manager the only device left to have a yellow mark on it after a lot of kicking, screaming and such is...(ACPI) BIOS. In 'properties' for this device is the device status message "windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two ACPI.SYS bus types. (Code 2)"- contact your computer manufacturer to get an updated BIOS...

OK, I've done that and have everything I need now to run the show as I want to -including the original CD for win98SE- on which after many 'dead ends' I finally found the 'acpi.sys' file under Base5.CAB..Hooray!

Just a few more lil' baby steps and I have what I want and now I find myself 'hobbled' cos I cant get the damned thing open...

Can somebody...anybody...tell me how to open this particular 'sys' file ?? As U can probably tell by now I am not an expert but damnit!! I didn't think I was that easy to beat either! I have the file sitting right there on the desktop and its taunting me and that hurts more than the process of finding the bl@@dy thing did!!

Please save me from this nasty lil' item and let me find peace once more!

device status message "windows could not load the driver for this device because the computer is reporting two ACPI.SYS bus types. (Code 2)"- contact your computer manufacturer to get an updated BIOS...

OK, I've done that and have everything I need now to run the show as I want to -including the original CD for win98SE- on which after many 'dead ends' I finally found the 'acpi.sys' file under Base5.CAB..Hooray!

Just a few more lil' baby steps and I have what I want and now I find myself 'hobbled' cos I cant get the damned thing open...

Can somebody...anybody...tell me how to open this particular 'sys' file ?? As U can probably tell by now I am not an expert but damnit!! I didn't think I was that easy to beat either! I have the file sitting right there on the desktop and its taunting me and that hurts more than the process of finding the bl@@dy thing did!!

Please save me from this nasty lil' item and let me find peace once more!

Not sure what youre trying to accomplish by extracting acpi.sys from the cab file, but the message suggest the driver isnt being loaded because it doesnt detect that ACPI is supported. You updated the BIOS, but did you check to see if there was a BIOS setting to specifically enable ACPI? What are your full system specs?

Hey ssmokee,

It's funny how the smallest clues solve the 'biggest' problems huh.

Whilst reading your reply to this post I detected a certain tone in your voice which got me to thinkin that maybe I hadn't checked everything I should have and sure enough, I solved the prob in a matter of minutes when I went about it in the right way...talk about a steep learning curve!

I guess thats what forums are all about eh.

Thanks for questioning my question and have a merry Xmas...

:thumbup

slu77er