swapping hard drives

GREENBUD

i have a 667mhz comp with a 80 gb hard drive and a 1700mhz comp with a 20gb hard drive..how much of a hassle would it be to swap them..( hard drives )..total reformat??..please let me know if it would be a hard process ...thank you :)

just opening the PC up and swapping them might work, if that doesnt work just re-install a OS on the hard drive and you still keep your files :), if your not bothered then format make sure you have the drivers before formatting though

Always perform a clean installation of XP when installing it in a computer as the boot drive. The hardware information to include drivers is recorded in the registry file and referenced when necessary by XP. When boot drives are installed in a different PC with different hardware and drivers XP will sometimes find and update all the new hardware and drivers and might work fine, but your registry will contain multiple entries of this data. That alone will cause the PC to become noticeably slower for obvious reasons.

My favorite method is to first format a hard drive with the manufacturers hard drive utility. I like two partitions; one for the OS and the other for all other software. Then if my partioned OS becomes corrupt or infected with something I can alaways format that partition, reinstall my major applications, and be back in business usually in less than two hours.

ok thanks again to all who use this forum...i swapped and did a reformat and it didnt go to bad..im writing from one of the comps..thanks again all...well until my next question.. :)