WMP10 Walmart, msn.music, etc.

With all the buz about Sony, I looked very closely at my network traffic. On a very clean, empty, and updated FAT32 WinXP home system. I found out, WMP 10 contacts msn.music.com, and then my system contacts online vendors such as walmart.

I hate walmart.

I tried the standard user stuff of unchecking everyting, but it would still connect.

I next turned to the reg tweaks, still no luck.

I think what needs to be done is to disable the on-line guide, remove the MSN Music, and the 'Browse all Online Stores'. Essentially disable the down arrow above the play list.

I guess I'm asking, does anyone have any reg tweaks for this?

I think one needs not a reg tweak, but rather a firewall for controlling the Internet activity of the installed software. The built-in XP firewall won't help in this case, because it can't control the outgoing traffic.

If you're looking for something less sophisticated than a firewall, consider adding msn.music.com et al to the hosts file.

Edited by VAD

I can't find the article where I found it, but I have looked for this previoulsy, and somewhere stumbled across a MS article that stated the only way was to either set and lock the skin with one that does not have those features available, or if you know enough, modify an existing skin, and remove the options from it.