Managing/building the default user profile

qpshelp

Hello All,

I'm having some issues with my XP laptops. When a user logs out, it takes 3-6 mins to complete the logout. This includes the local admin account as well. I'm almost positive this issue is occuring because something in the default user profile, or all users profile is causing this to hang. When I built the image for the laptops, i may have replaced one of these profiles with a profile so that users could have identical backgrounds and Icons. Can someone tell me what may be going on?? Also, if i want to have a default background for all users, how would i go about doing that? I've tried creating profiles and then replaced the all users profile but this doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for your help! :yes:

As to the logout time issues, consider installing the uphclean utility from Microsoft to alleviate logout issues - most of these are caused by antivirus software or printer drivers keeping the user's registry open, and uphclean forces open registry handles to close when a user logs out.

As to the profile issues, you will need to configure a user profile exactly the way you'd like, then copy that profile to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\" folder, not the All Users folder. If you have a domain, you can simply create the folder structure \\<domain controller>\Netlogon\Default User\, and copy the user profile to that location. Any user that logs onto your domain, if creating a new profile, will first check this network location for a new profile before using the Default User profile on the local machine.

If you've got Group Policy, you should be able to set the default wallpaper background and screensaver via Group Policy Objects - otherwise, this can be done the same as the previous via the Default User profile.