How to minimize Trend PC-cillin ?

Hey -

I have a nice silent install of Trend PC-Cillin 2005 going here. Works well. The only real hassle is that the default signature file that is installed is out of date, and need to be updated immediatly, regardless. It's also a large file ...

It's the lpt$vpn.184 file, and it's 9.8Meg. It would be really nice to have a tiny one or two pattern file for the install, and let it download the latest pattern file on first use, as it does anyway.

Any ideas on how to do a small file ? Or perhaps how to simply delete this file, and have the installer ignore the fact that it's not there ?

D.

Have you considered repackaging your install with WinInstall LE or Adminstudio Repackager? You could start your repackager, install your A/V and update, then let the repackager do it's thing - you'd have an .msi at the end updated (at least up to the current date), and most likely wouldn't complain about the missing update files (because the "first-run" would have already been run in your repackaged application).

It's not the best way to do things like this, but it's usually the easiest :).

Yeah, I'm considering doing this. I would really prefer to remove that **** 9.8meg file though - it would save 9.8meg on the CD, and no matter what I update with, soon enough there will be more updates that have to be downloaded ANYWAY.

D.

Yup - tried that. It complains that it can't find the file, and fails to install. Hrm - I'll try an empty file for that .....

D.

Nope - doesn't work. It complains that it want you to create a Pattern directory with a pattern file in it. Tried a few combinations of data in the file (empty, 2 blank lines, 1k from the .184 file etc) but no go.

I've sent in a support request to Trend, asking specifically about this, and also about all the possible command-line parameters, and setup.ini settings. We'll see what comes back ...

Edited by Halfwalker

Is there any way to backup and restore the firewall permissions? I'm not trying to do anything related to unattended here, just sick of having to manually config the firewall every time I set up a system. Trend Micro's site is useless as is their tech support. Google has also been useless on this.