Can't Install IE on Win2000 SP4

patrickc284

Well, I've got a couple of problems - I can't get my DSL working (SBC Yahoo) or install Internet Explorer.

My DSL seems like it's fine, I just need to use my DSL install disc, but I can't use that because it runs using Internet Explorer. I can't install Internet Explorer because when I try to, it says that another program is open, even though I have closed everything I know how to close.

I don't know how to start in Safe Mode in Win2000 so I can't try that.

I just installed Win2000 Pro SP4 on a new NTFS partition. My specs are:

P4C 3.0GHz Northwood 800 FSB

Abit IS-7

1 GB Corsair Value Select

Western Digital 80GB SATA-150

52x/32x/52x Samsung CD-RW

Sound Blaster Live!

NVidia GeForce MX420

Logitech Key/Mouse

Dell CRT Monitor

Realtek onboard LAN

Please help! I've been working at this for hours - no luck!

I called SBC for the 4th time... and it seems that there's some kind of problem with my motherboard or my ethernet card. I have an onboard Realtek TRL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC and a Cnet Pro200WL (which I can't find the driver for to install again).

I also have a D-Link wireless connected through USB.

Using the ipconfig command, I get a default gateway, IP address, etc, but I can't get to the web for some reason.

My best guess is that my PCI ethernet only works in a certain slot and that the onboard network connection is bad. Any bright ideas?

Abit AS-7 865PE

P4 3.0C, 800 MHz FSB, H/T

1 GB Corsair Value PC3200

Western Digital SATA-150 80 GB

Samsung 52x/32x/52x CD-RW/DVD

NVidia GeForce MX420 64MB

SB Live!

Aspire X-Plorer

Rosewill 450W PSU

Logitech Mouse/Key

H/K Speakers & Sub

When you type "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt, what do you see?

As for installing IE, are you getting any errors when attempting to install IE?

Your details are vague - let's troubleshoot network connectivity first, then try IE :).

i had a problem with SBC yahoo.

as it turns out, they use a "Mother, May I?" approach to internet access.

optimum online: turn cable modem on. plug into firewall. plug in pc. you're on the 'net.

SBC DSL: an odyssey of pain, because their sh?tty software throttled the speed of the client's computer. i had to enter information from phone bills i didn't have access to (i'm the guy they hired to do the job, i'm not their accountant :realmad: )

as it turned out, all the software did was phone home (i.e. contact SBC) and then allowed access to the 'net. i spent an hour on the phone with a tech before he FINALLY admitted that all i had to do was enter an IP address, enter the modem with it, and make an adjustment, and i would be connected WITHOUT their software.

i wrote a letter of complaint and never heard back. i also CC'd the letter to Optimum Online and told them to use it in an anti-DSL ad.

the bottom line here is that you have paid to access the internet via their DSL, and they are PLAYING GAMES. you do NOT need their software. you need the IP of their modem (something like 192.168.0.1, maybe 192.168.1.1, i forget). type it into firefox or mozilla or opera and have a tech help you to make the adjustments. the software is nothing more than a way to allow the machine to verify that you didn't steal the modem. tell them, as i did, that treating you like a criminal in order to connect to the 'net is a real a??hole move on their part, and that you'll write letters and keep calling until they STOP PLAYING IDIOTIC GAMES and make the adjustment in the modem and forget the pointless bloatware.

i know this is a total pain, but in my case, the client had no choice but to use DSL. my reputation as a consultant was at stake because of SBC's idiocy and i sure made the time to set them straight.

I called SBC and went through entering the IP address and everything and it still didn't work. All I can go is find my gateway and modem IP address by using the ipconfig command in a DOS prompt - somehow I don't actually get on the web, just to my modem?...

It's really strange - if I hook the ethernet up to my xbox, it works, hook it up to my computer, nothing.

If you can ping the modem from the computer, have you tried pinging an IP address outside of your network, such as 64.233.167.147 (www.google.com)? If the PC isn't working, we will need to know what isn't working - there's more to accessing the internet than being able to use a browser :).

Try using nslookup as well to see what www.google.com comes back as (if at all)...

In DOS Prompt I used the ping command and nslookup commaned for 64.233.1167.147. Using the ping command, all four packets were sent and received. With the nslookup command, homeportal.gateway.2wire.net said it couldn't find google because it was a non-existant domain.

So how come I can ping google, but not use the nslookup command (which by the way, I don't know the meaning of)?

I missed your earlier post where you said to type ipconfig /all.

It says:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Node Type - Broadband

IP Routing Enabled - No

WINS Proxy Enabled - No

DNS Suffix Search List - gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet Adapter Local Connection

Connection Specific DNS Suffix - gateway.2wire.net

Description - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Ethernet

Physical Address - (should i display this on the web?)

DHCP Enabled - Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled - Yes

IP Address - 176.16.36.1

Subnet Mask - 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway - 176.16.0.1

DHCP Server - 176.16.0.1

DNS Servers - 176.16.0.1

Lease Obtained - (Today) 6:46PM

Lease Expires - (Today) 7:46PM

More info:

"obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" under TCP/IP under Local Area Connection are both checked.

Both computers are hooked up to a DSL modem (a 2Wire Home Portal 1000HW).

ping google.com has all four packets received,

nslookup google.com gets the response,

Server: homeportal.gateway.2wire.net

Address: 172.16.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: google.com

Addresses: 72.14.207.99, 64.233.187.99

So it appears that the 2Wire is acting as a DNS proxy - when you use IE, what happens? Also, make sure that IE is not configured to use a proxy!

You could also try manually setting the proxy server for your network card's TCP/IP properties to something other than the 2Wire device, such as 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 (MCI's quasi-public DNS servers).

Internet Explorer is not running - I was never able to get it to work despite numerous re-installs and one repair-install. I'm about 95% sure now that I have a bootleg copy of Windows 2000. It has no holograms of any sort - which the Microsoft website says should be numerous among other things.....

The only browser I could get working (since it's the only other one I have an install disc for) was Avant Browser 10.something. I don't believe any proxy settings were enabled when I checked recently (when an SBC tech rep made a similar point).