Motherboard

Nerwin

You don't need the Intel chip set for your CPU to work, but if you prefer it then be ready to pay more for it over VIA or SIS based boards. (SIS makes a solid chip and is the only one that generally includes on board 133 IDE support (VIA and Intel mainly stick with 100), This board does support HT (+ EE and XE). 333 memory (even 266) is supported as well. See the SG-80 Compatibility chart

Intel is solid, but even their ICH isn't perfect (far from it actually if you have looked at comparisons between the 3 on hardware review sites).

Don't fall victim to the hype!

SIS can hold it's own when compared to Intel in regards to similar Northbridge/Southbridge families.

You pay a lot for the Intel name.

I don't know what your cpu is rated at for FSB, but that would be something really to be looking at when picking a mobo.

Edited by LiquidSage

The SG-80 fits your needs in all areas then. It also won't break the bank. I like abit so my opinion is a bit biased. MSI and Gigabyte make good boards as wall, but finding 2 ide channels for socket 775 and up is getting to be a challenge since SATA is nudging them out. Even harder is trying to find one that supports AGP + what you said you want as well. If your graphics card wasn't AGP...you would have a much bigger selection to choose from.

Isn't progress grand? :wacko:

What is nice about the SG-8- is it has onboard graphics if you ever find yourself in a pinch. Compared to 478 boards, newer ones have been shown to not heavily impact performance when using onboard graphics.

I dont have a AGP card i was thinking to go with PCI Graphics if thats any better? I tried SATA before and it never worked.

My CD-Rom drive is ide i dont feel like buying another that has SATA on it.

Edited by computerMan

You can find better for that price. If you are looking for something that is PCI Express and not AGP (PCI Express cards actually are cheaper and faster), you should expect a board to have Firewire (IEEE1394 b support if your lucky), and why go skimpy w/ 3 ram slots? Go for 4 so you have the option of running all of them w/ dual channel support. 7.1 sound should be there w/ Optical in/out.

The newer mobo's have improved dramatically regarding SATA. I would say it would be safe to venture into new waters if you are going to buy a HD as well. Since I have IDE HD's, I too demand dual channel at least.

The board I'm using now actually has support for 3 IDE channels (6 devices) and it sure beats having to use an add in card.

Considering the mobo is probably the most important item in the entire computer as it dictates performance for everything, I personally would put a couple extra $$$ into this purchase.

Here is a nice gigabyte matx board w/ enough features to last you for quite a bit in the future and worth every penny.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-8I945GP&c=PG&show=p

Edited by LiquidSage