Help understanding Dell XP Product Keys

About 10 months ago I created a Windows XP SP2 integrated CD for Dell systems using nLite.

How does the Product Key work for Dell systems?

I've been using a copy of a Dell Windows XP Home CD with SP2 integrated using nLite to reinstall XP Home and many different Dell Dimension desktop machines. I've never noticed any issues with XP product keys by doing this. It installs fine on all those machines, never asks for a product key, and passes the Windows Geniune Advantage tests. So I never had cause for concern. Now I'm concerned.

I've never fully understood how the Dell CDs work. I thought there was some kind of BIOS check it did and if it was being installed on a Dell PC that had come with XP it was OK. When tried on an older Dell that shipped with ME, for example, it wouldn't work. I've been able to install from that disk to an HP but was prompted for a product key.

Now I've noticed that there is a product key on the disk (winnt.sif) and it's ending up on all those PCs. If I have been a total id*** and screwed up a bunch of computers, go easy on me please.

So, how do I make a CD where I don't have to worry about the product key?

I could remove it from the CD?

Leave it and manually enter it from the sticker after install using Magic Jellybean?

Leave it because the individual product key is not that important?

I'll be using a current Dell CD with SP2 "from the factory" and integrating the hotfixes using RyanVM's download and nLite.

There are 4 files that are differant on the Dell cd than on the hologram CD and 1 additional file (there are other different and additional files but these don't concern us). The files that are diffeant are the 4 oembios.??_ and the added file is winnt.sif. during install winnt.sif tells setup what key to install with. This key is a generic key that is permanently blocked from activation but is allowed for WGA. The oembios files tell Windows that activation is not required on Dell hardware. If you use this CD on non Dell hardware the install should complete but it will require activation. When you attempt to activate you will be prompted to change the key. If you attempt to use a key from one of the top manufacturers you will be blocked from activating online but will be able to activate by phone.

I have used my Dell WinXP pro SP1a CD on DOZENS of non-Dell machines, and it has always been activated and eligible for Updates, etc.

My Dell CD has 2 separate product keys on it actually. One in Winnt.sif and the other in unattend.txt.

I have not checked the validity of the unattend.txt key

I slipstreamed the SP2 into the source and burned it. Installed to a VMWare machine and now it wants to be activated. Since I couldn't get VMWare to give me Internet access, I called it a trade-off.

I suspect that the "improved" WPA mechanism was initiated during the period between the Image Creation and the release of SP2.

Back in "the day" when I pirated the Win2000 Beta left and right. I modified the i386\setupp.ini and i386\setupreg.hiv file with 2 edits and that CD NEVER asked me for a key and always generated unique OEM ProductID and Magic Jelly Bean always coughed up a valid valid 5x5 code.

Since MS has more resources than I do, I suspect that they have addressed ALL these issues. And I'm fairly certain they have "my number" (Since I ran a little crack group called PhrozenCrew for a little bit, the odds are pretty damned high).

All I want is a RETAIL copy of WinXP Pro with SP2 integrated that doesn't ask me for a key every time I install it.

Instant Gratification takes too long...

The product key that was used to install genuine XP Pro (SP1) on my DELL 600m did NOT pass validation (not sure if that's the same as WGA) when I tried to download MS PhotoStory. It's not the same as the key on the COA.

I had to fill in a few online forms on MS website (when trying to d/l the above), tell them that it's a DELL, what model, etc. and the key as shown on the COA before it would validate. It seemed to leave a file on the HD. I didn't have to change the product key as such.

Now I just need to click the validate button and it'll go through every time.

Back to the original question, I'd say what matters really is what type of license you have when it comes to installing the OS on other computers. Leaving out the product key in the CD seems reasonable.

Edited by Takeshi