WinPE/BartPE Keyboard/Mouse Lockups

fritzie_pup

I've recently run into an interesting issue regarding any build of BartPE or WinPE, attemping to boot from CD on 2 seperate individual PC's (which we have extra models of [Dell GX260 and a GX270]).

This boot CD works properly on every other system type in that same model line (4 other PC's of each model), other than these 2 individual PC's.

The CD will load into the PE Environment just fine, and it runs all the automated scripts (including network mappings and software loading for image pulls) sucessfully. At termination of the script, Ghost 8.0 is loaded, awaiting input from the admins to download what image is needed.

However, it's at this point, we find on those 2 individual PC's that the keyboard and mouse have stopped functioning. No input is recieved to the OS, and you cannot even do the magic Cntl-Alt-Del to do anything.

One thing these 2 PC's do have in common, is the fact they are the only 2 models we have left here in our QA lab that use the older 3Com 390x on board NIC's. All other PC's in here now run off the Broadcom b57 drivers, or the Intel 1000M's.

So far, here is a listing of all the things I've attempted to do on these 2 PC's.

1) Rebuilt a special build of BartPE using updated 3Com drivers, to no avail.

2) Updated the Bios of both PC's. No success.

3) Attempted to run Ghost32 off of both local CD, and Network share. Ghost loads just fine, it just 'feels' like the PC is recieving no input.

4) Attempted multiple different builds of the BartPE and WinPE scripts, cutting out as much as possible.

5) Tried multiple different keyboards and mice, over both PS/2 and USB, as well as different models.

6) Even replaced the system board in one machine.

7) Changed USB Bios settings, attempting to even hope that little bit would help..

The keyboard and mouse work just fine in a DOS Environment, as well as it works just fine with the image currently on the HD (XP Professional SP1). The keyboard allows me to enter the Bios just fine. It's after it starts loading the PE, that things just 'stop' it feels like.

It wouldn't be driving me so batty if this CD didn't work on every other PC we have in here of that exact same model/configuration. I've verified all settings are exactly the same..

Anyone have a clue what this could possibly be? It's an interesting problem, and since it only affects 2 of our PC's, it's not terrible (we'll just have to use the more out of date floppy boot disk I made).. But yet, slightly annoying as well..

Any help would be appreciated!