802.11g internet speed

zeus1356

hello my amigos - i have a quick question about the 802.11g variety of wireless home networking. my question is simple and (hopefully) easy if you have had experience: if my main need in wireless home networking is just to use the internet (i have dsl) across both of my computers, will the 802.11g speed be sufficent so that it will not bottleneck any internet bandwith? my main purpose for the home network is to get all pc's on the same internet line, not to transfer large files or play LAN games. i know that the two computers on the same internet line will be competing for bandwith, but will the wireless connection from the internet modem to the pc allow the internet bandwith to go as high as it would through a wired ethernet? in other words, will my dsl internet be any slower because i am running it through a 802.11g wireless setup? thanks!

zeus

Nope. You shouldn't have any troubles at all.

In fact, even 802.11b should be sufficient for you. g-rated hardware isn't that much more expensive nowadays anyways, and is usually a bit more reliable than b-rated hardware.

Oh... and this probably should have been in the Networking section of the forums, not Windows XP. ;)

Zxian is right. I have an ages old Linksys wireless b setup, including router and a switch and it must be at least 5-6 years old...(yuck). We have a 3 mbps SBC DSL line. While I can download at over 300 kb most of the time, it is a slight bit faster with a direct connection. I think the hardware we have is not very efficient. So we are thinking of upgrading in a bit to the 802.11n standard once it comes out. Basically my point is G should suit your needs and beyond.