Overhead projector and MS Office with ATI video card

chilifrei64

Here is my problem...

The president of a company I whose network I manage was trying to get a powerpoint presentation to work on a projector. He spent about a half an hour trying to get it to work.. tried another computer.. that didnt work.. then tried a computer with a NVidia video card and finally got it working.

Basically what is happening is when you switch the display to the projector using the crt/lcd button on the laptop, the powerpoint presentation instantly starts flickering and the zoom goes all the way up to 500%

For my testing... i tried this with Excel and Word and both do the same.. it auto zooms to 500 percent and the screen keeps flickering. Even my text in internet explorer increased in size.

The specs are:

Dell Latitude D810

1gb memory

Office 2003

Radeon X600 with latest driver from thier website.. dont remember the version number but I just downloaded it today.

Now.. on another laptop by toshiba but still with an ATI card, 1gb memory and office 2003.. i received the same results

On an Nvidia GeForce 4 Go 420 in another dell laptop with 512 mb memory and office 2003.. i dont get this problem.

This seems absolutely crazy to me.. does anybody have any ideas..

We used to use an ati card in an old laptop. It would do weirs stuff 50% of the time. I would not let the driver control the card outputs. Ati has several progrmas you can download to change this. I forget there names. They might be included in some packages.

That's very bizarre... My laptop has a Radeon 9000 Mobility video card in it, and I don't experience such problems.

When you say zoom, do you simply mean that the font on the screen is larger, or does the output resolution change?

The ATI drivers allow you to set the desktop resolution higher than your screen resolution and will "zoom in" to whatever portion of the desktop your mouse is at. When you plug in a projector the driver will recognize the maximum resolution the projector is capable of (using PnP or VESA) but will not change the desktop resolution. The nVidia drivers will lower the desktop resolution if they determine that it is too high for your screen.

Have you tried these: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=293

Also When you tried different ati cards where they all the smae type? Do you use dual display or just the projector. Maylbe if you toggle to just 1 that will help.

What happens if you just ude windows drivers? What's listed for monitors in device manger?

There are also 3rd part aps to conrtrol this.

It is not the screen resolution that zooms in.. it is the application... but it only happens when i switch to the projector display. If you open MS word you can see the view percentage.. normally defaults to like 75%.. when I flip to the projector that number goes up to 500%.