server 2003 wsus with .net 2.0

g_ordo

Have just rebuilt a server, loading server 2003, installed .net 2.0 as saw it was available in updates, then went to install wsus, says it wants .net no earlier than 1 with sp1 ????

Havn't found any info relating to this by googling yet.

Anybody got any idea's.

Also found ryan's silent installer for .net 1 with integrated sp1 would not run, just closed after extracting

cheers Gordo

You need to have the .net framework 1.1 SP1 installed for WSUS to install properly. .NET framework versions are not backwards compatible - meaning you need 1.x installed if your app requires a 1.x version.

I got it working after removing .net 2 then changing to 1.1 with sp1, just seems strange that the newer version of .net wasn't recognised

I'm not an expert, just an "advanced user", expecting things to work as updates are made available, guess that is a being bit over-expectant. My latest experience with a new ms product (ms mobile 5 with async 4)

made me wonder why a product is even released when obvious issues are evident.

I could be out of line but I have a suspiscion there are a few other annoyed people out there.

Cheers Gordo

Edited by g_ordo

I'm sure it was recognized, but you have to understand that version 1.x and version 2.0 of the .net framework install to two different locations in your Windows directory, and apps written for a specific version of the .net framework will only look for the framework in that framework's specific installation location. Thus, a .net 1.1 application won't even attempt use the 2.0 installation files, and vice versa, because they're in different locations. This is why you should install both 1.1 and 2.0 if you're going to install the .net framework on your machines.