Server 2003 and Server 2003 x64

raymonda

Hello,

I was looking for the Windows Server Edition, the 2003 edition, and I have a question concerning the versions.

At Microsoft.com is said that the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise for example does support the 64bit processor.

At the same time, they have versions like Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Editions.

Is there a big differnence between both versions, or is it possible to run the 2003 E. (not 64) with the same results on a 64bit proc.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much.

P.S. Can you give me ( if possible ) the detailed differences please.

If you are running a large SQL database and the DB program supports the 64bit architecture then go with 64 otherwise I would say just stick with 32. There arent enough 64bit apps out there (and 32bit apps that are compatible on 64) for me to go for it yet

If you are running a large SQL database and the DB program supports the 64bit architecture then go with 64 otherwise I would say just stick with 32. There arent enough 64bit apps out there (and 32bit apps that are compatible on 64) for me to go for it yet

Thank you for you post.

But I wanted to know, which are the differences in the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and the Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Editions. Because at microsoft.com is said, that the Server 2003 supports the 64 bit processors, so now are there many differences between both verison or not?'

Thank you

It's basically just a recompilation of the operating system for IA-64 or x86_64 (depending on which way you go). Not much there... x86_64 is backwards-compatible with the 32-bit x86 instruction set, but you can't run x86 applications on IA-64.

If you rely on non-Microsoft software, the likelihood of finding Windows applications for those two architectures is small, but if you compile your own apps, you shouldn't have a problem.