Install apps from CD-ROM

mackaque

Hi,

I was unsing the OEMPREINSTALL = YES before but since I do want to read RAID drivers on floppy I can't use that command anymore

So now it doesn't copy the OEM folder into my systemdrive so I can't install the software I putted on my unnantended CD

So, I read there is some way to install apps DIRECTLY from the CD-ROM

I looked on the forum and can't find a thread about it

Can someone tell me how to do it or redirect me to the a thread that explain this

Thank you

I do use the Batch File method

But I think it will works since it's in a batch file, I only needed how to know what was the CD-ROM letter. With this code I think it will work in the Batch File method

If there is something better for batch file let me know I'm going to test that tommorow

Thx for the post man I appreciate !

Hi There,

Yes, I would Also like to know. For Batch Files, How do you search out the drive letter for the Optical Drive? I Read something some time ago about it. It searches for a specific file then assigns a drive letter for the location it finds.

I would like to speed up my installs by not copying the programs (2.5 Gb's) to the Drive.

Hi There,

Yes, I would Also like to know. For Batch Files, How do you search out the drive letter for the Optical Drive? I Read something some time ago about it. It searches for a specific file then assigns a drive letter for the location it finds.

I would like to speed up my installs by not copying the programs (2.5 Gb's) to the Drive.

My method,valid for usb hard drive or CD ROM or internal hard disk partition, is stated below:

Winnt.sif

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist a:\AutoXP.bat (a:\AutoXP.bat a:))"

Command1="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist b:\AutoXP.bat (b:\AutoXP.bat b:))"

Command2="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist c:\AutoXP.bat (c:\AutoXP.bat c:))"

Command3="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist d:\AutoXP.bat (d:\AutoXP.bat d:))"

Command4="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist e:\AutoXP.bat (e:\AutoXP.bat e:))"

Command5="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist f:\AutoXP.bat (f:\AutoXP.bat f:))"

Command6="cmd /c start cmd /c (if exist g:\AutoXP.bat (g:\AutoXP.bat g:))"

AutoXP.bat

%1

cd %1\proxp

for %%U in (i-A*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-B13*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-B14*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-B15*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-B16*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-C*.bat) do call %%U

for %%U in (i-D*.bat) do call %%U

Edited by cwyhk

Please excuse my abrupt question to this forum.

I am trying to create an Unattended Win2000 install. I've read through the "Advanced Guides: Unattended Windows 2000/XP Installations". I want to include a specific home grown application in this install. It doesn't required a regristry edit (i don't think).

I would like to put this on the win2000 cd install. Here's what's needed.

The files reside in sub foldes of the main folder called "APP". The "APP" folder needs to be copied to the "root" of C:\ or the main drive which Win2000 was installed. Then there are a few other things that need to be done.

1) a file in a subfolder of APP needs to be copied (file.ini) to the C:\winnt folder

2) the c:\winnt\system32\etc\services files needs to be copied over with one that resides in the "APP" folder.

3) a c:\tmp directory needs to be created

I've read through quite a few:

http://www.wilsonmar.com/1w2kins.htm#ManualIns

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/w...s/scriptit.mspx

http://unattended.msfn.org/advanced/methods/runonceex_cd.htm

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=202

web pages that are honestly very good, however I'm a bit stuck on how to place this "APP" folder onto the Unattended CD.

I realize this is probably something so very simple and I'm just not able to see it for all the cob webs.

Thanks

Ok I created the following "Running RunOnceEx from CD"

Start syntax for RunOnceEx.cmd

-----------------------

cmdow @ /HID

@echo off

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

#rem this will look for the cdrom and allow the variable %cdrom% to work (I think)

copy %CDROM%\Software\APP c:\APP

copy %CDROM%\Software\source\oem*.* c:\winnt\system32\oem*.*

copy c:\APP\Informix\Informix.ini c:\winnt\Informix.ini

copy c:\APP\services c:\winnt\system32\etc\services

EXIT

-------------------------

I saved the file and put it in the x:\bootcd\working\ folder.

Now I want to make a bootable cd. Here's where it get's real vauge for me. In the winnt.sif file I need to include "RunOnceEx.cmd" in the [GuiRunOnce] section? If so how will it know to run this from the cdrom or does it do that automagically?

There is constant mention of the $OEM$ folder in the x:\xpcd folder. Since I working with win2000 (I don't have any control over this) and have used "setupmgr.exe" I didn't see a $OEM$ folder. Where would I put the following files:

1) cmdlines.txt

2) RunOnceEx.cmd

3) cleanup.cmd

???