regarding the post 'allowance' of 1024000 characters

soporific

or 56,666 to be more precise.

I have a thread I maintain - it's the Windows 98 Seven Years Later project - and it's been snipped severely because I've somehow gone over the limit.

The exact details of the problem are as follows:

1) the post previews perfectly fine in three browsers: firefox, opera and IE. That suggests to me that all the data i want to send is being received by the server hosting msfn.org

2) when I try to save the post, that's when it fails to save (with all three browsers), snips the post at around the 57,000 mark and it then screws up how the page looks when it reloads, with the edit and PM controls off to the side in their own column. Not pretty. This is quite frustrating, especially if I use the 'Check Post Length' function which teasingly tells me I have a million characters to play with. This is not the case and I'd like the message changed to 56,000 which would be closer to the truth.

3) if I try to send the exact same post with only 56,666 characters in it by snipping the bottom myself, the post appears exactly as it is supposed to which suggests to me that the problem is not related to some weird syntax error in my post code that is stuffing things up. I could, however, be wrong.

I really need those other 900,000 odd characters for all the reference info I'd like to include. Well, maybe not all of it, but I'm already leaving out large chunks and it's just not tenable.

Has anyone else actually tried to post more than 60,000 characters? Did it work? Can one of the moderators do some dummy posts to check this problem out? and while I'm asking so many questions, could Elvis still be alive?

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

Has anyone else actually tried to post more than 60,000 characters? Did it work? Can one of the moderators do some dummy posts to check this problem out? and while I'm asking so many questions, could Elvis still be alive?

I've seen this issue before, but I would have thought the forum upgrade would have fixed this....

This could be caused by several factors....

1. For some reason IPB has the limit set two different places with two difference values. I've seen this happen in other applications so I can't rule it out.

2. It's a limit in the field of the MySQL database using the wrong datatype or has itself been limited in the number of characters it can hold.

3. Something else I can't think of off the top of my head