win2k server plus remote dekstop

gaig

Hi! I just signed up at msfn forum cose i've spent vainly a lot of time an effort

at trying to make a pc running 2k server accesible via remote desktop.

I didn't manage anything. Some told me that it can't be done.. Idon't want to believe that.. :no:

It's a pity that this powerfull OS cant be equipped with remote desktop server... Plz help me! I need

your lights! :thumbup

no.. this only works on 2000(by installing it this way)

XP Pro and 2003 server have this functionality also but to get that to work you right click on my computer and go to properties, choose the remote tab and check "Enable remote desktop on this computer?

Install "Terminal Service" from "Add/Remove Windows Components" and select on the next page "Remote Administration Mode" (or something like that).

Ok,thank u! That works perfectly at win 2k server! :w00t::w00t:

I am wondering if that works at win 2k pro (not server) too...? :}

Or if there is any other way to make Remote Desktop Server work at win 2k pro...??

Edited by gaig

You can download and install the RDP client for Windows 2000 from the Microsoft website. :w00t:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...rdclientdl.mspx

Thank u for your reply but u r talking about RDP client whereas i am constantly refering at SERVER. Whether i can access a pc (equipped with 2k pro) via remote desktop...?

Edited by gaig

Apologies if my assumption was wrong, but I assumed that the software would also allow incoming connections. It would seem that this is not the case. :}

It's ok. The RDP CLIENT is used in order to access other computer that use the RDP server programm.

The second is exactly what i want for a win 2K Pro system!!

The XP and 2003 server installation disks as well as the microsoft site contain the RDP CLIENT!

yes.. to connect to win2k pro you will have to use a 3rd party application like VNC or pcAnywhere to connect to it. RDP is not available for Win2k(NON SERVER) Pro.

According to my Google search, you have to use a 3rd party application. I'm surprised that Microsoft haven't done something about this.

Your surprised.. this is Microsofts way of saying "Upgrade or die" this is why wireless support is non existant witout 3rd party apps on 2k and why usb is non existant on NT4.0.... They need a reason for people to upgrade so they leave out features and save them for the next version

Ok,thank you all for your replies! My fears have been proven for win 2k pro.At least 2kserver work!

What seems stange(if not foolish) to me is why Terminal Services Server is not available at windows 2000 pro while it is at 2000 server?!??!?! I mean....werent they released at the same period of time? Why handicap them? Or microsoft didnt believe then that this is quite a useful and important feauture...?

Well Xp was not meant as a server function and it has remote desktop. I dont know the real reason why they left out this functionality but my guess is that it wasnt in high demand to remotely administer client pc but was in high demand to administer servers remotely. I know some people used vnc apps to remotely access a pc but the demand from what I can remember was not overwhelming like it was when XP came out.