Changing Folder Icons

I wish to change folder icons for folders like "Program Files", "Downloaded Program Files", "Offline Web Pages", "Scheduled Tasks", "Fonts" and "Windows". While the 1st few can be managed by hacking respective .dll files, but Program Files, Windows and Fonts can't be done that way. My misery is that Program Files and Windows folders has no "Customize" button in right-click menu, while Fonts do have one. Program Files is successfully managed by me by just dropping a customized desktop.ini inside it. What about Fonts and Windows? One interesting point that i found is that Program Files, Windows and Fonts are not Rename-able; Program Files, Windows has no "Customize" button yet Fonts folder, although not rename-able, has customize button in its right-click menu.

Can anybody help me by providing a sample script which when executed at the end of Unattended Installation, successfully changes the preferred folder icons? What's the issue with "Windows" directory? Is it really immune to Icon Changeover even if i have admin rights?

Any help is welcome.....

Arlight well i do something similar during my unattended setup. I create 2 folders with custom folder icons. This is how i suggest you try to set this up. it works for me.

1). Create your custom desktop.ini

2). Then place your desktop.ini files into a folder on your XPCD (Say... $OEM$\C\Custom Icons)

3). Use a batch command to move your desktop.ini files from the location on the CD to

there prespective folders.

This is the sample batch code that should make this happen

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Program Files\desktop.ini" "%systemdrive%\Program Files"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Downloaded Program Files\desktop.ini" "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Offline Web Pages\desktop.ini" "%windir%\Offline Web Pages"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Scheduled Tasks\desktop.ini" "%windir%\Tasks"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Fonts\desktop.ini" "%windir%\Fonts"

ATTRIB +S "%systemdrive%\Program Files"

ATTRIB +S "%systemdrive%\Downloaded Program Files"

ATTRIB +S "%systemdrive%\Offline Web Pages"

ATTRIB +S "%systemdrive%\Scheduled Tasks"

ATTRIB +S "%systemdrive%\Fonts"

ATTRIB +H +R "%systemdrive%\Program Files\desktop.ini"

ATTRIB +H +R "%systemdrive%\Downloaded Program Files\desktop.ini"

ATTRIB +H +R "%systemdrive%\Offline Web Pages\desktop.ini"

ATTRIB +H +R "%systemdrive%\Scheduled Tasks\desktop.ini"

ATTRIB +H +R "%systemdrive%\Fonts\desktop.ini"

That should do the trick. Good luck

Edited by cumminbk

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Program Files\desktop.ini"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Downloaded Program Files\desktop.ini"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Offline Web Pages\desktop.ini"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Scheduled Tasks\desktop.ini"

MOVE "%systemdrive%\Custom Icons\Fonts\desktop.ini"

Where to?

@cumminbk & Yzowl,

Thanks for the great help and support for my cause. Now, the way you suggested, i've only 1 question to ask, ....What about Windows directory? Is it really immune or is there any workaround?

P.S.~ @ Yzowl,

From what i've seen in the months after i joined, I can only say on behalf of all the members that you're simply a "Master of Batches". I wonder if anyone will ever disagree with me. Thanks. Period.