Universal XP *Image* for multiple hw platforms

meostro

I'm trying to create a single XP image to be deployed across our enterprise. Currently we have about a hundred different images across maybe ten hardware platforms from 4 different vendors.

We've standardized purchases going forward, so we're down to supporting four platforms from 1 vendor - 2 desktop and 2 laptop configurations from Dell. The machines are similar enough that we are down to two images, one for desktop and one for laptop, but I've been tasked with creating a single image that can be deployed to either machine.

I know at a minimum I need to get mass storage and chipset drivers in the image for every platform I want to support, I just don't know how to do it. I think it would be really cool to support any hardware on any system, ala Bâshrat the Sneaky's Driver Packs, but I don't know how to integrate them into an image (as opposed to an install CD).

Whatever I end up with will be SYSPREP'd and packaged up for deployment, so if any of its switches or the mini-setup will do what I need that would be perfect.

If there's no good reference out there on doing this, I'd really like to write one, any input would be appreciated.

If you have any new laptops and desktops lying around, take a look at the C:\DELL\drivers folder for the drivers used for the current installation. (Alternatively, use the Drivers CD and try and get into the hidden partition for newer computers.)

Then just take a look at this section of the guide:

http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/drivers.htm

to set up folders for each chipset that you want to use and the same for the other drivers. XP looks for the best possible match, so having multiple folders for chipsets doesn't make a difference, but it does make a more universally friendly unattended image.

I didn't think the SIF method worked after the computer was installed for the first time... I'll have to take a look!

I think I can get into the image before it's booted, I'll take a look at the DELL folder to see how they have it set up.

Here is what we use, http://www.binaryresearch.net/UIU%5CAbout.htm

The price was very cheap and basically all you do is create your image run UIU then ghost the image. Then no matter what PC you bring it down on the system is completely functional. We then use HP Radia to deploy the software. It all works like a charm with only 1 image to update and maintain.

• 4 weeks later...

@Asin:

There is no WINNT.SIF on my image, even after I SYSPREP it. That will put a significant damper on adding more drivers. :(

@traxx2060

That's what I'm trying to do, create a single image for disparate computer systems. I'm working my way through that link, but Wally writes like he's got ADHD... The pointers and even step-by-step instructions are a little incoherent and fragmented. :}

@D8TA

That's what i'm trying to do, but I don't want to fork over the $xxx to have someone else do it.

A.) It's not in the budget

- and -

B.) I want to figure it out myself to share with y'all. :D

Anyone else have ideas? Or just more coherent pointers similar to Mr. Beck's?