Application Switch

dipen01

Hello..

First of all am sorry if this sounds dumb...

What exactly is Application Switch and what are its advantages ?

What is Silent Install ?

I just joined today and i have very little idea about this..A little detailed reply would be great..

Regards,

Dipen

Edited by dipen01

An application switch allows you to specify options to a program when it is run. For example:

msiexec /i Setup.msi /qb

The /i switch tells the program msiexec.exe to open the Setup.msi file. The /qb switch tells it to install the program with the default out any user interaction.

A silent install is when a program installs without you having to click "Ok" or "Next" or anything. It simply runs and when it's done, your program is installed!

Thanx a lot for your replies..

Got the meaning of Silent Install but couldn't understand Application Switch. I mean i couldn't differentiate between Silent Install and Application Switch.

An application switch allows you to specify options to a program when it is run. The /qb switch tells it to install the program with the default out any user interaction.

Same thing is in Silent Install; it installs program to default location without direct user interaction. Isn't it ??

:unsure::o

That depends. Some installers have a switch that will allow you to specify where to install the program. Others that use an MSI will allow for a special file called a transforms file (extension .MST) to specify the installation parameters. Included in this file is the information on where to install the program.

A silent install can be set up to install the program just the way you would normally, if you know what switches and parameters to use.