Remote Control Software?

(1) I tried pcanywhere 11.5, and it's unusable in x64 because it's too slow compared to x86 (when it does work). Is there any remote control software that works in x64? (I can't use the built-in Remote Desktop because it logs off the current user, and I need the current user not to be logged off.)

***I discovered today that Funk Software's Proxy comes in an x64-version that seems to work well.

(2) Apparently Terminal Services on x64 *server* allows concurrent control by a remote and local user over a shared session (just like pcanywhere). Has anyone here used that and can confirm? (and that Remote Desktop x64, as in x86, does not allow that).

Thanks.

Edited by TechnologyIsAQuestionableGood

Remote Desktop does not log off the current user.

When you login with remote desktop, if you login as a user already logged in, it will bring up all the windows/apps that that user already has running.

When you are finished you select the disconnect option (not the logoff option) and the user remains logged in, in whatever state you left the PC at disconnect.

That only works if you are logging on as the user currently logged on. That's common for home scenarios, but rare in a corporate environment where you would want users to have least privilege (be Users, or more likely be Administrators or Power Users (bad) with some level of policy applied to them, but you want to log on as a more privileged local Admin to correct a system problem. To connect, you must disconnect them, and once disconnected, there is no way (unless you know their credentials and all the apps and files they had open) to restore what was...

The exception to this is Windows Server 2003, where there can be concurrent users at the console and via Remote Desktop.

To the original poster - I believe this is the case for the X64 version of Server, but I don't believe it is for XP X64 - but as I only have the server installed, I unfortunately can't verify that for you...

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not clear about this point: With remote desktop on the xp professional versions, if I log-in as the SAME user as the one at the remote desktop, does that mean both of us can use the desktop at the same time in a shared concurrent manner, seeing each other's changes and without disrupting the original session at all (like pcanywhere or vnc)?

UltraVnc just posted 64-bit drivers but they're basically pre-beta. I haven't tried them out yet.

Thanks on RemoteAssistance--I think that only works on request by the other user, it doesn't allow automatic log-in to the other user's desktop.

So far Funk's Proxy is the only good solution I've found, until these other products come out in 64-compatible versions. I suspect not until Vista64 for most of them (UltraVnc should be ready earlier).