Can't log into XP

Ryu

Guys,

Any one have any clues about this, I install XP and it goes through fine. Asks me to set up a user and I create one called system.

It then asks me to log in to Windows.

It defaults the user name to Administrator, I leave the password blank and click OK and it fails me (check domain etc). I do not know a password for the admin login and did not select one.

I then try typing in the user I created "system" and leave the password blank. Same thing. I was at no point promopted to select a pasword for this user and so do not have one to type in. I have even formated the drive and resintalled to make sure i hadn't done any thing silly. Same thing. please please please some one help.

Guest LouCypher

SYSTEM is a reserved name, it's already part of the OS and shouldn't be used as a username.

You choose the administrator password during setup. It will ask you to put it in twice to make sure. It does it right before you are asked for the usernames (where you put "system").

Pick something other than "system" as a username, and pay attention during setup when you reinstall.

are you doing a clean install? DONT UPGRADE!!!

it asks you for a passowrd and username just before ( or after i think ) it tells you the computer name ( and gives you the option to change it to something like BETTY instead of MSajsdFDVD-67 or whatever )

the default user is set to Administrator, change it to your username if you like and make sure you add a password

let us know how you get on

OK so i reinstalled for the 3rd time, again didn't ask me to set up any passwords. It says you can creat & change passwords etc from the control panel. However I set up four accounts, Paul, Mark, Luke and John and I can now access XP :)

Also any one know, how to set ME up as the default boot option rather than XP?

Regards

[/color:1ec8fada5c]

Guest LouCypher

OK so i reinstalled for the 3rd time, again didn't ask me to set up any passwords. It says you can creat & change passwords etc from the control panel. However I set up four accounts, Paul, Mark, Luke and John and I can now access XP :)

Also any one know, how to set ME up as the default boot option rather than XP?

Regards

[/color:79cc4a0254] [/quote:79cc4a0254]

If it didn't ask you to setup the admin password I'd wonder where you got your copy? Unless the home edition doesn't and the pro does. I'm running pro.

Right click [i:79cc4a0254]My Computer -> Properties[/i:79cc4a0254]

Go to the [i:79cc4a0254]Advanced[/i:79cc4a0254] tab, choose [i:79cc4a0254]Start and Recovery -> Settings[/i:79cc4a0254]

Hit the [i:79cc4a0254]Edit[/i:79cc4a0254] button

Change the part after "default="

to the part before the entry for your ME installation (probably "C:")

So yours would be "default=C:"

Make sure timeout is not = 0

Save, exit, reboot.

Should get a menu that selects WinME after the timeout if you don't choose an OS.