Update Unable to be Installed IE KB896688

HatGuy

Automatic Update reported it was unable to install the IE update described in KB896688 on two separate ocassions. There was no error message or troubleshooter link.

Running update through the catalog brought the same result. .An error message said there was something wrong with my computer and gave a troubleshooter link. The link provided no information.

All other critical updates have installed correctly with no problem.

I am running WindowsXP Professional ver 5.1(Build2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519: Service Pack 2) IE ver 6.0.2900... on a laptop with an 1.6G Pentium M and 512M ram..

Suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.

HatGuy

Thanks for getting back to me, net_user.

The operating system was installed by the manufacturer before August 2004. I have not reinstalled the operating system. I use MS auto update. All MS critical updates have been installed, including SP2 and prior IE updates. This IE update described in KB896688 is now the only update listed in the catalog.

Thanks for the suggestion, Elektrik.

At the risk of overload, here's the play by play:

I didn't mention, because it has never mattered for an MS auto update or any other reason I know of, that I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite (version:6.0.667.000).

When I downloaded and ran the file at your link, "Extracting Files" ran up to update\update.exe

When the "extracting files" window's progress bar appeared to be complete and the file name update\update.exe was listed, I got a ZoneAlarm Security Alert for Dangerous Behavior: "Security update is trying to launch e:\03FB583625AC9E3A4AtD3185\update\update.exe, or use another program to gain access to privileged resources. Application: WindowsXP-KB896688-X86-ENU.EXE."

(E:\ is my program files drive\directory.)

I've gotten that message before and the update ran fine when I clicked "Allow."

I clicked Allow and got a messagebox with titlebar "KB896688 Setup Error" and message "KB896688 Setup cancelled." The icon is a red dot with a white X. The only buttons were close and OK.

I got the same result when I clicked "Apply to all unsafe actions by this program."

The directory listed in the ZA message did not exist after I closed the "Setup Error" message, but until then it contained:

...\sp2gdr\long list of dlls and exes

...\sp2qfe\same long list

...\update\update.exe, etc.

$shtdwn$.req

spmsg.dll

spuninst.exe

Asin: Yes, the problem I am having is with the patch your first link discusses (MS05-052). I have not had a problem with the other one (MS05-051).

Elektrik: Thank you for your second suggestion, but given Asin's report, I think I'll wait.

First, I've never had a problem like this with an MS auto update patch (or any other downloaded installer for that matter).

Second, even without the report at the link Asin posted, I am *extremely* reluctant to disable my firewall when the software I am having trouble with wants access to the internet, since I've seen several credible reports of mean infection times under a minute without a firewall.

I appreciate your help and would consider other possibilities you (or someone else) might think of, but turning off my firewall will be the very last thing I try. I'd much rather do without IE.